Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need your expertice once again guys!
redface.gif

So, I've got the Asrock Z77 Pro3, which has a 4+1 power phase design. How far should I be able to safely push my 2500k before the motherboard can/will take damage? I don't want to push it so it'll die on me. However, I'm currently at 4.6GHz rock solid (default vcore), and was wondering if a 5GHz mark would be possible as a 24/7 overclock (if the CPU lets me)?

I see the Z68 Pro3 has a similar 4+1+1 power phase, but the 1+1 is for graphics cards right? So, how far do you Z68 Pro3 owners (and others with a 4+x power phase) keep your overclock? Keep in mind, I look for a 24/7 overclock, not just benchmarking...

·
Banned
5,076 Posts
Lol, I got my i5-2500k to 4.9ghz @ 1.50vcore on a 4 + 2 phase design.

heres the kicker.... it has no mosfets!
tongue.gif

I really didn't think it would clock up that high at first.

i'd say you can make it to 4.8 no problem.

5.0 is kinda pushing it, if you can get the vcore locked than your all good, and if temps stay bellow 80c

·
Banned
125 Posts
I wouldn't push it that hard since it's a accident waiting to happen. I would keep it at 4.4 and call it a day since your not going to see a huge difference unless you are benching the 2500k.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Asrocks phase's and mosfets are top notch. I can hit 4.2 at about 1.35v and its rock solid. Just make sure they aren't hitting the 90c+ range.

·

13,017 Posts
I believe you can get 4.8GHz no problem. A board doesn't need to be top notch to push an easily powered 2500K. A 2600k- 2700k is another story though.

But a 2500k would be safe to push on that board imo.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyismaster View Post

Lol, I got my i5-2500k to 4.9ghz @ 1.50vcore on a 4 + 2 phase design.
heres the kicker.... it has no mosfets!
tongue.gif

I really didn't think it would clock up that high at first.
i'd say you can make it to 4.8 no problem.
5.0 is kinda pushing it, if you can get the vcore locked than your all good, and if temps stay bellow 80c
Your motherboard uses buck converters for its vrms it has mosfets under the heat sinks.

·
Premium Member
6,988 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Mosfets just no heatsinks

·
Banned
5,076 Posts
yes yes, I was thinking of VRM HS. lol.

Still @ OP : 4.8 is easy.

If you had a i7-2600k/2700 then, I'd say other wise. hyperthreading really takes a hit on the i7,

hence, 2500k's ease to OC high.

·
Premium Member
6,988 Posts
wave2.gif

That's why Clarkdale overclocked so well on H55 boards. They had a low TDP and required less current than their Lynnfield brethren.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your replies guys. I can hit 4.8GHz with +0.030V vcore, and this 4.6GHz I'm currently using is at -0.005V vcore. The mosfets however doesn't get any active cooling, so that's why I started this thread... to see how far they can be pushed safely.

This motherboard doesn't support fixed vcore though, only auto / offset.

·
Banned
5,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solkku View Post

Thanks for your replies guys. I can hit 4.8GHz with +0.030V vcore, and this 4.6GHz I'm currently using is at -0.005V vcore. The mosfets however doesn't get any active cooling, so that's why I started this thread... to see how far they can be pushed safely.
This motherboard doesn't support fixed vcore though, only auto / offset.
oh, sorry to hear that. 4.8 really isn't safe on auto.

I had mines on auto, and had a burst of 1.82 vcore on the other rig. (( not in the sig ))

·
Registered
319 Posts
I only reached 4.1GHz at 1.28v with ASRock P67 Pro3 SE which also has 4+2 MOSFETs

I wouldn't buy the board for overclocking.

With 8+4 I got 4.5ghz at 1.34v with their Z77 Extreme4

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonashendrickx View Post

I only reached 4.1GHz at 1.28v with ASRock P67 Pro3 SE which also has 4+2 MOSFETs
I wouldn't buy the board for overclocking.
With 8+4 I got 4.5ghz at 1.34v with their Z77 Extreme4
I appreciate you giving your input, but how did you realize that the 4.1GHz was the barrier that couldn't be beaten? Because I am well over your Z77 Extreme 4 oc with a crappier board, and have been steadily rocking this thing for a month without a single BSOD.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyismaster View Post

oh, sorry to hear that. 4.8 really isn't safe on auto.
I had mines on auto, and had a burst of 1.82 vcore on the other rig. (( not in the sig ))
I have no intention of using auto vcore in any of my overclocks.
smile.gif
I just meant that some people use fixed vcore for their overclock testing and then switch to offset for the 24/7 usage... I have no such option, just trying to figure out my offset option for each oc hehe.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmuckley View Post

I'd say 4.8..I killed all my hardware trying for 5.4 on an AsRock 4+1 phase board..They're fairly solid..not solid enough for me..but..good for the $$
4.8GHz is an option, but that means an extra +5-10°C in cpu load temps... I try to keep the cpu cool as well, and 4.6 at stock vcore seems to do the trick.

·
Washed Up Old Gamer
4,681 Posts
sounds like you mind is made up then. 4.6 seems a nice, safe, respectable clock.
thumb.gif

1 - 20 of 24 Posts