Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple enough question - I can't seem to find a direct response anywhere on Google. The speakers in a 7.1 setup that are to your sides and slightly back, and the ones that are indeed behind you, how far should those speakers be from the walls closest to them? (I ask because I am trying to figure out room dimensions). Thanks so much for your input!

·
Jedi Knight
671 Posts
You probably won't ever get a straight definitive answer. Most people seem to agree at least 6 inches, with a foot or more being preferable especially if they are ported and have a rear facing port. Unless you're in a really small room like me where you have no choice but to put them closer.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Generally, the closer a speaker is to a wall or corner the more base it will produce. So, there is no "right" answer since positioning and the sound it produces is a personal preference.

·
Loosing Vision
1,885 Posts
Many speakers are different and you have different acoustics in every room. Many times best to start with a placement in a open room and then build off it. Room acoustics should be figured in and the type of material that is used. This can help determine what reflects or absorbs what frequencies.

Today some receivers come with a mic that you place in the center of room and when you run the calibration setup it will adjust the complete speaker system to the given mic. "Takes out a lot of the human error on tweaking manually."

Once you add furniture wall hangers tables carpet etc, these all come into play to get the proper sounding to the given target space. I know you can have a million dollar system but if you don't have the right size room with the right dampening materials in the proper place it can sound no better then the average Joe's sound system.

I mean you can experiment and place a speaker in a large box and hear the difference. AS the post above states a given distant from the wall will vary and keep in mind do you always listen to the system at the same volume? What about the temperature and humidity? The power cables and line conditioners and type of connect cables materials and the connectors that can make even the slightest or major noticeable difference. Most of us may never reach that concerned point as the go buy components from walmarts and consumer places that are low end gear that is not the real deal.

At the end of the day it is best to try and satisfy your sound with your own ears, but do ask questions and research all areas. It is what make the audiophiles what they are.

It is really appreciated to find real audiophiles that would allow you to come hear there system and what makes it work and why.

Cheers!

Discrete perfectionist to seek the grail that satisfy's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts