Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to invest in a non-ws 19in LCD sometime in the near future and I have a few questions. First off how fast does it need to be? I play COH, UT2003/04, and comparable games, that being said will 8ms suffice without ghosting or will it need to be faster than that?

I am browsing around newegg looking at 19in LCDs but i'm not sure what to look for and what to avoid, anybody have any pointers?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by calvin924597 View Post
Below 8ms is good.

I'd seriously reccomend getting widescreen though.
^^ agreed . . Why do you not want widescreen?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why widescreen? I won't watch movies so I don't see the point to run that res.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
but you do game and more and more games are supporting it. . and its a great advantage IMO . . . DuckieHo has an FAQ comparing screen real estate and sizes . . would probably be a good read in general . .

Just found he has one on response time as well

>>EDIT . . .I should probably read them myself before I comment

·
Premium Member
10,440 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Jules View Post
Why widescreen? I won't watch movies so I don't see the point to run that res.
Oh man. The game on wide screen is incredible. Nothing is cramped together on one screen and you get at least 20% more view space = more ownage

I went from 15" regular to 19" wide screen and I am never going back. I watch my movies on the PC just because it's wide screen over my square T.V.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Most humans can't tell the difference between 6ms and 8ms.... so under 8ms is fine.

I have a FAQ about CRT vs LCDs... and a FAQ about monitor sizes!

·
Banned
715 Posts
full screen CRT > wide screen LCD

more real estate FTW

my 21" CRT which is around 8 years old STILL displays 1900X1280 perfectly clear, the potentiometers are holding up well.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by firefox is awesome View Post
Most CRT's are 1ms response rate, so i would say 6 ms or lower
yup, and the wire on a TFT causes about 0.000000000000001 ms lag, therefore you dont want a wire which makes it 0.000000000000002 ms slower

under 10 ms is ok, some people can't tell the difference under 25 ms, but i can tell the difference to 16ms or below, and i think i have fairly good eyes.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow guys! Thanks for the response. I am gonna do some searching on Newegg but if you have any good recommendations under $200 for a WS 19in under 8ms please post it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts