Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to know about how long it should be taking me to do a frame. i am working on a 5000 frame wu and it says 104day tell done. to long for me i want my first point now!!!! help me fold faster please.

well now it says 1 day but i want two a day what can i do?

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
Each work unit is different and different computers process them at vastly different rates, so there is no meaningful way to compare your progress unless you find someone with a similar computer and the same WU.

Please read through the folding FAQ linked in my signature. It lists some optimizations to the program that will increase your folding speed. The other obvious answer is to overclock and/or upgrade your rig (though there's not much of a reason to upgrade from an 840). The FAQ also addresses the issue of the 100+ day estimate.

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
You could run two instance of it since you have a dual core. There should be a process of how to do it in Taeric's sig.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i tried but every time i started the programe for the second cpu it just restarted the first one. i put them in differant dir too. and i wanted to build a duel core ht rig

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
You need to change the machine ID in the config. If the IDs of the two copies match, you'll experience all kinds of problems.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok i think i figured it out. i am using two text versions going booted from differant dirs. and they are running on differant cpu cores. the top ones on core 1.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taeric

You need to change the machine ID in the config. If the IDs of the two copies match, you'll experience all kinds of problems.

how

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok i figured it out i think. had to change the id and set them to the acutal differant core in task manager. one question it says they are working on the same protien are they or do i just got the same thing happening as before?
ok really mad now. i keep getting a file error when they are both running.

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
The best way is to make two folders on the desktop download the folding program for each, then set up each just remember to give each a differant cpu ID, I have four rigs like that. And a lot of time they will be doing the same project. You have to give the ID's in the folding program, not the task manager.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no. make a short cut to the programe somewere. right click and in the target field type " -config" after the target dir. so ""c:\\programe files\\folding at home" -config". click shortcut and it should work. go to advanced options and chang the machine id for each programe that you want to run do a differant cpu or machine id.

jrabb1920~i ment will they be differant projects under fahmon? in the picture you can see two differant cores running at 50% each on differant cpus totaling 100%. but in the pic in the fahmon the bottom one wont get any bigger. are they both folding the top one at the same time? like teaming up on the protien.

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
The text editing and the -config flag accomplish the same thing, so either is fine.

Right now, the folding software can only handle one core (i.e. it's a single threaded applications), which is the reason you have to run multiple copies of the program on dual cores. I noticed you don't have info in the right half of the FahMon screen. To fix that, go to the FahMon menu and select Download New Projects.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i got it figured out. thanks guys. it will run two at the same time but they will not work on the same one. i got three going now on two comp soon a fourth. as soon as i finish installing windows.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts