Overclock.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about a year and a half ago I built this guy a almost $1000 rig. I got a phone call from him telling me that he thinks his HD was failing and that his fans on his water cooling stopped working. So I was like crap bring it over and I will take a look at it and see what I can do.

Anyway to make a really long story short. He had a nasty virus that destroyed his windows. Neither of the 2 fans I put on his rad was were working. They were so jammed up that I could barely push the fins with my finger. Mind you I had given him a can of compressed air and had told how important it was to keep the rad clean and to change his fluid in about 6 months. This is what I saw when I open everything up lol
Before pics from when I built it.

And when I got it back the other day

·
Registered
207 Posts
How would it even get that dirty to begin with. Don't most cases have dust filters built in and if they don't you just install some. Positive airflow + dust filters =
thumb.gif

·
Registered
50 Posts
I clean my pc every 6 months or so and good lord it has practically no dust excep for my h50.
Why is there something growing on the fans. It looks alive.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Must be in a dusty/unclean environment to be that bad.

Could be a smoker, too.

Either way pretty gross. I've cleaned equally as dirty rigs and then the owners have the audacity to blame me for their problems. Partly why i don't do it anymore and if i do, i overcharge for the hassle.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
That guy has no respect for his stuff. Seeing how bad that is paints a picture for his whole MO for me.

PS: You need to shame him and show him how disgusting this is.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denim-187 View Post

Holllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyy motherr of megan fox. Does he game in an attic?
LOL!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer785 View Post

How would it even get that dirty to begin with. Don't most cases have dust filters built in and if they don't you just install some. Positive airflow + dust filters =
thumb.gif
No dust filter and the rad is outside the case.

The fluid in the system was uv green with clear tubing, when I drained it the tubing is now brown and the water was orange.

Yes he is a smoker.

I am to but don't smoke in the house.

·
Registered
131 Posts
wow. just... wow.

an environment like that needs easy to remove air filters and nothing external.

And someone that lets it get that bad doesn't deserve water cooling
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
188 Posts
oh wow i clean mine as soon as i think its dusty haha

lucky i have a compressor and i do it every 6-8weeks

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
WTH? that looks like someone tried to blow insulation into the damn rad fans or something. Freaking gross.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evensen007 View Post

That guy has no respect for his stuff. Seeing how bad that is paints a picture for his whole MO for me.

PS: You need to shame him and show him how disgusting this is.
^This. That is filthy..

cheers.gif

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
636 Posts
Did you tell him that it was a PC and not a HEPA filter?
tongue.gif

Could there be any fire hazard from having the fans powered but unable to move from all the dust?

• Rep+
Reactions: flushentitypacket

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipathy View Post

That is amazing. What kind of temps was he running? Is that CPU still alive?
Believe it or not the cpu is still alive. It's an I3 overclocked to 4.0 with HT. I couldn't believe he didn't fry that thing or cause some sort of damage.
Not sure on temps as he had a nasty virus that would not let me do anything so I had to do a clean sweep of the OS.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.