Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, how are you?
I am seeing some good prices on used workstations form HP.
One caught my eye.
It is a Z600 with two X5675 Xeon processors, 24gb of ECC ram and a nvidia NVS300.
How good is such a machine today?
Can it perform good for work related tasks like adobe creative suite and such?

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdourado View Post

Hello, how are you?
I am seeing some good prices on used workstations form HP.
One caught my eye.
It is a Z600 with two X5675 Xeon processors, 24gb of ECC ram and a nvidia NVS300.
How good is such a machine today?
Can it perform good for work related tasks like adobe creative suite and such?

Cheers!
It is still a beast that will rip thru anything you can throw at it.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjames61 View Post

It is still a beast that will rip thru anything you can throw at it.
I started thinking about this, because I was looking at the old Mac Pros and the upgrade paths that they have.
People seem to buy 8 core 2009 Mac Pros and then upgrade with a USB 3.0 pcie card, a pcie ssd like the plextor m6e, add ram , replace the gpu with flashed 7950 or gtx 680 and even swap the processors for x5675 or faster x5690.
That is all nice, but the base 8 core 2009 mac pro is still around 700 euros... Without any upgrades...
Add a pcie ssd, a pair of cheaper x5675, ram and it goes to 1200 easy...
On the other hand, I saw this HP Z600 that already has the X5675 processors and a good amount of ram for 400! Add my old 120gb 840 Evo as an OS drive and a cheap 660ti and it has to perform!

With this, why are people spending so much on those upgraded mac pros when there are HP or Dell workstations so much cheaper?
I mean a X5675 is an X5675, both under OSX or Windows. Or am I missing something and the Mac Pro perfroms way better?

Cheers!

·
Adclock.net
3,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdourado View Post

I started thinking about this, because I was looking at the old Mac Pros and the upgrade paths that they have.
People seem to buy 8 core 2009 Mac Pros and then upgrade with a USB 3.0 pcie card, a pcie ssd like the plextor m6e, add ram , replace the gpu with flashed 7950 or gtx 680 and even swap the processors for x5675 or faster x5690.
That is all nice, but the base 8 core 2009 mac pro is still around 700 euros... Without any upgrades...
Add a pcie ssd, a pair of cheaper x5675, ram and it goes to 1200 easy...
On the other hand, I saw this HP Z600 that already has the X5675 processors and a good amount of ram for 400! Add my old 120gb 840 Evo as an OS drive and a cheap 660ti and it has to perform!

With this, why are people spending so much on those upgraded mac pros when there are HP or Dell workstations so much cheaper?
I mean a X5675 is an X5675, both under OSX or Windows. Or am I missing something and the Mac Pro perfroms way better?

Cheers!
Most creative software is crossplatform or has an equivilant windows version, People are simply paying for the brand name.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts