Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its a AMD Athlon XP 3200+, 400mhz FSB, 512kb Cache, it came from my sisters emachine, if i build a computer around it would it clock well? if so how well? and is its stable and has low temps?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,899 Posts
When you say, "clock" do you mean overclock? With 512 kb cache, it's not so easy to expect a whole lot from the processor. However, it also depends on the other parts you'll be using for the CPU (i.e. PSU, RAM, mobo, etc.). The luck of the draw of the chip helps here, as well.

About the stability and the low temps, you'll find that out after you actually build a system out of it and try to overclock it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,811 Posts
you should get a decent OC from the 3200...you should be able to hit 2.6-2.8 with decent cooling... but the only real way to find out is to try it...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,952 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Zipnogg

When you say, "clock" do you mean overclock? With 512 kb cache, it's not so easy to expect a whole lot from the processor. However, it also depends on the other parts you'll be using for the CPU (i.e. PSU, RAM, mobo, etc.). The luck of the draw of the chip helps here, as well.

About the stability and the low temps, you'll find that out after you actually build a system out of it and try to overclock it.


Uh, the Venice core usually clocks very well.. The cache is a little underrataed, but ya, as basil said 2.6-2.8.. You can probably get a better OC from a 3000+ venice..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
45,674 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by RubberDucky

Its a AMD Athlon XP 3200+, 400mhz FSB, 512kb Cache, it came from my sisters emachine, if i build a computer around it would it clock well? if so how well? and is its stable and has low temps?

That would be a socket A Barton core with a 200/400MHz FSB!
So... depending on the MB, preferably an AN7 or an NF7 ver2 ABIT, a good PS and good RAM it may see 2500MHz.
It's default settings are 11x200 and the "11" is locked so you would have to up the FSB and along with that the RAM speed will increase!

If you want to be absolute on the CPU... down CPU-Z from cpuid.com and it will verify the Core.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by The Duke

That would be a socket A Barton core with a 200/400MHz FSB!
So... depending on the MB, preferably an AN7 or an NF7 ver2 ABIT, a good PS and good RAM it may see 2500MHz.
It's default settings are 11x200 and the "11" is locked so you would have to up the FSB and along with that the RAM speed will increase!

If you want to be absolute on the CPU... down CPU-Z from cpuid.com and it will verify the Core.

Yup did tht
heard this was the last of its kind sigh im probly gonna sell it mabey on ebay or here and save up for a 3000+ athlon venice core
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
45,674 Posts
Good plan, but consider the 3200 because the 10x is very usefull to OCing!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by The Duke

Good plan, but consider the 3200 because the 10x is very usefull to OCing!

really? Because i heard tht the 3000+ was a better at ocing..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,899 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by wowza

Uh, the Venice core usually clocks very well.. The cache is a little underrataed, but ya, as basil said 2.6-2.8.. You can probably get a better OC from a 3000+ venice..

I'm confused... am I the only one left out?

I thought he was asking about an Athlon XP, and (from my limited knowledge) there is no Venice core for an Athlon XP, right?

My question is... Wowza... Venice cores overclock well, I know that... but he's asking about an XP?? not a 64?
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top