Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm getting up there to almost 500% coverage with MemTest, but eventually I get an error. I have pretty much isolated the problem to my RAM (CPU vCore 1.504, vDroop down to 1.488, NB 2.6GHz @ 1.275v). I have 2x2GB of OCZ Black Edition CL8 RAM. They are rated at 1600MHz with 8-8-8-24-40-2T timings with 1.65v. So far, I'm running 4GHz with my 1055T. My RAM is running at 1525MHz @ 8-8-8-24-40-2T with 1.76v. How high can I put my voltage to get stable?

·
Banned
9,168 Posts
Jesus, 8-8-8-24-40 ---> 2T!??! You sure they're not 1T wow...

Run it as hard as you feel comfortable, I have cheap DDR2 I got for free so I'm running them at 2.4V stock is 1.8V I do this because if they melt down I'll just replace them.

·
Mining the DB
2,333 Posts
I would have to say, from what ive heard, If you run your RAM at over 1.65v for extended periods of time, that you can damage your CPU Memory controller. I run my RAM at a max of 1.65v since i discovered that just to be safe. There is no actual proof but according to AMD's documentation, they say the the Mem controller can safely handle a max of 1.65v. I think every chip will differ slightly and some can handle higher voltages easily but other will stat degrading as soon as they go over 1.65

·
Banned
9,168 Posts
That doesn't even make sense, it sounds like you're confusing AMD with INTEL because that sounds like their specs.

You should probably check back into that since that would mean most of the ram on the market at stock voltage is blowing up AMD chips.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BallaTheFeared View Post
That doesn't even make sense, it sounds like you're confusing AMD with INTEL because that sounds like their specs.

You should probably check back into that since that would mean most of the ram on the market at stock voltage is blowing up AMD chips.
Not sure what RAM you're looking at but any decently new set of DDR3 runs at 1.65v. Anything running at 1.8v and stuff like that is old socket 775 stuff and shouldn't be used in modern systems since it can damage the memory controller.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardly View Post
Not sure what RAM you're looking at but any decently new set of DDR3 runs at 1.65v. Anything running at 1.8v and stuff like that is old socket 775 stuff and shouldn't be used in modern systems since it can damage the memory controller.
lol. my bro ran corsair rated at 1.7v on his 620 which is now mine
i dont see any damage in my memory controller
considering that he ran it at 1.75v for around ~8 months

·
Premium Member
9,823 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AMDZ View Post
Ok, so I'm getting up there to almost 500% coverage with MemTest, but eventually I get an error. I have pretty much isolated the problem to my RAM (CPU vCore 1.504, vDroop down to 1.488, NB 2.6GHz @ 1.275v). I have 2x2GB of OCZ Black Edition CL8 RAM. They are rated at 1600MHz with 8-8-8-24-40-2T timings with 1.65v. So far, I'm running 4GHz with my 1055T. My RAM is running at 1525MHz @ 8-8-8-24-40-2T with 1.76v. How high can I put my voltage to get stable?
AMD boards themselves can handle upwards of 2.0+v on memory DIMM's with proper cooling etc. The safe limit will vary for each pair of sticks you find. Some will handle more voltage fine whereas others will end up causing damage to the IC's. You need to ask OCZ what they recommend over volting to or what they are rated for when overclocked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SystemTech View Post
I would have to say, from what ive heard, If you run your RAM at over 1.65v for extended periods of time, that you can damage your CPU Memory controller. I run my RAM at a max of 1.65v since i discovered that just to be safe. There is no actual proof but according to AMD's documentation, they say the the Mem controller can safely handle a max of 1.65v. I think every chip will differ slightly and some can handle higher voltages easily but other will stat degrading as soon as they go over 1.65
So are you saying I'm damaging my 1055T's memory controllers by having my RAM run at 1.8v? My chips are DDR3 1600 @ 7-6-6 @ 1.8v (Stock). Could you provide some information where AMD says that the IMC would be damaged with RAM using more than 1.65v? I would like to see that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallaTheFeared View Post

I too am curious about this.

·
Premium Member
9,823 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardly View Post
I don't think this applies to AMD. Perhaps for Intel it does, but unlikely on the AMD side.

·
Banned
9,168 Posts
We're talking about AMD here not INTEL.

AMD wouldn't make DDR2 boards that support x6 chips if it was going to blow up the chip.

For the record the only chip family that requires 1.65v or less from ram is the iCore series, Qxxxx did not have that specification. 1.5/1.65 is limited to DDR3 and was created to meet intels new iCore series chips. You can still buy DDR3 ram with 1.7 volt or higher specs. Good luck finding DDR2 with less than 1.7 volts.

Once again this is the AMD forum, we're talking about AMD chips, so don't muddy the waters with your Intel specs, thank you.

·

13,020 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AMDZ View Post
Don't up the voltage anymore, 1.76v is more than enough.

Try and up the NB chipset voltage a couple notches. Also raise your CPU-NB volts a tad too.

If you have success, then lower your ram volts a tad and check for stability.

·
Premium Member
9,823 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrTOOSHORT View Post
Don't up the voltage anymore, 1.76v is more than enough.

Try and up the NB chipset voltage a couple notches. Also raise your CPU-NB volts a tad too.

If you have success, then lower your ram volts a tad and check for stability.
He's better off increasing just the CPU/NB voltage. Increasing the NB voltage might help RAM stability but it's more often than not better for stabilizing HTT stability.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
max ram voltage on AMD is irrelevant
its moar a matter of how much voltage your ram can take without burning up.
around 1.8V is where most DDR3 starts to warm up.
but 1.76V is too high for 1525mhz 8-8-8-24
that should be stable at 1.6V

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok. I've tightened down my timings to justify having 1.76v on the vDIMM's. So I'm running 1200MHz with 7-7-7-16-20-1T timings. How does that sound?

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
My RAM's stock voltage is 1.8V (Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600MHz 4GB (2x2GB) 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Kit, of which I have two). It's not true that more than 1.65V on AMD CPUs will damage the CPU's IMC. This seems to be the case for Intel, however. Corsair specifically state that my RAM is specifically for AMD Phenom II CPUs, probably exactly because Intel's CPUs shouldn't take more than 1.65V.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, so when I touch my RAM sticks, they are sort of not really warm to touch xD. So I think I should be good on temps. Thanks for all the opinions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts