Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my 2 hdd are running at 47 and 51 degress celcius, which to me it too hot. can someone tell me if they are running at dangerous temps which could corrupt them or decrease life, well anything not healthy for the hdd's?

·
Banned
78 Posts
Around 70C is where you run into heat issues. I'd suggest slapping a cooler in front of or on top of the HDDs. My room temperature is about 20C, and I managed to get my HDD down to 22C max by placing a couple of 80mm fans in front of it.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ah ok, so its when im around the 70's region i should start worrying..well i think ill make some sort of cooling for my hdd..thanks or the info

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Remember - Hot HDD's means a Hot case and a Hot case is a Hot CPU

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have a maxtor... and last summer temps were at 51ºC too... i bough a 80mm fan to but in front of the case and now it doesn't pass 25ºC
buy some fans...

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
now thers an idea..i think a couple 80mm fans would do the trick, where would you guys reccomend me to buy fans from in the uk..any good websites?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Maybe a wierd question, but I'm new to this so:

Does anyone make a 5'' door fan enclosure, say with 2 or 3 tiny fans? If not, I'm makin one to sit between the drives before summer comes. Forgot about all the ambient in my house then.
thanks for the idea.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
microdirect.co.uk

Great service - I use them over other sites because they've never failed

·
Registered
240 Posts
The drives should run up to 60, even 70, though ive never gotten mine that high. But their life will be reduced if you continually run them that hot. They tend to fail after a few years. A cool drive lasts longer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts