Overclock.net banner

At what temperature do you feel it starts to get unsafe for your CPU and Computer?

• 60c-70c

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • 70c-80c

Votes: 46 36.2%
  • 80c-90c

Votes: 40 31.5%
  • 90c-100c

Votes: 13 10.2%
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to currently be running some tests in a bit, and I want to get a before and afters polls and of course run opinions before I commit.
Objective and subjective data is fine.

CPU ONLY!
1. How hot is too hot? What components do you fear for when your CPU is at such temperatures). What temperatures do you feel are unsafe. If you choose one that is of lower temperature, your automatically assumed to agree higher temperatures are also unsafe.
A. 60-70c
B. 70c-80c
C. 80c-90c
D. 90c-100c

Also post what components you feel are unsafe while running at those temperatures.

Please stick the to thread to minimize on arguments, and spam.
Thanks.

·
Registered
152 Posts
B is where I start to worry and consider switching my method of attack. C is where I back off on the throttle
wink.gif
Those temps may still be runnable, but that just seems too hot for me. I prefer longevity over short term performance.

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
For cpu's, 70-80c. For gpu's, 80-90c.

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Voltage is more of a problem than temperature for long term life.

For a short burst (e.g. a SuperPi run) you will probably not do any damage running it up to just before thermal throttling (disregarding voltage), that is what it is there for after all.

For long term usage (e.g. folding) then you will want it cooler. How cool depends on how long you want your chip to last. How long it lasts at a certain temperature (again disregarding voltage) depends on the make, model and individual chip.

For long term I try to stay around 70°C, but then I want my CPU to have a long and happy life.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Cpu: 70-80
Gpu:70-80

I personally would monitor them in my second screen if it get this hot.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
For processors I try not to hit 80 and for my 580 I try to not hit 100 (not that its ever gone over 50). On the other hand my 480 easily went over 100 while I was playing bad company 2 (on the stock cooler).

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I run my 2500k at 3.6GHz and I sorta freak when the thing hits 50C... I know I really shouldn't worry at all but hey I've gotten the thing to idle at 17C with the A/C on.
tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
mine gets too around 85 degrees...

i feel guilty that i torture it, but i have cought the bug of upgrading (this was my first computer and my budget was 1200nzd, i ended up spending 2500nzd ish, and im now looking to spend another 1000 on water cooling and sli gtx 560 lol) so i guess ill just get an ivy bridge down the track anyway. once i get rid of this stock cooler i will probably clock it as high as possible without hitting ~80

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
95c on my graphics cards and they shut off. I stop right when it hits 80c on those.
Never above 70c on the CPU.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
For everyday use, I wouldn't let my CPU get any higher than 60C. (I use AMD, so it has to be cooler than Intel) For a GPU I would prefer it to be about the same, in the 60's, but depending on what GPU it is, I'll sometimes let it get into the low 70's, but no higher than that.

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
Lol at people saying 70-80. For current gen Intel that is totally safe.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrysasquatch;14077444
OP isn't detailed enough. A) for 24/7 overclocks, completely comfortably, B) for 24/7 with slight concern, and D) for suicide runs.
I was clear.
What do you consider an unsafe temperature range. I am sure your unsafe temperature range remains the same regardless of the 3 situations you stated, you're just willing to overlook them for the benchmarks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygaffer;14077624
Lol at people saying 70-80. For current gen Intel that is totally safe.
Lets keep this civilized with opinions only. After all even if we want objectivity, we cannot since Intel does not release any specs or documentation for materials used for transistors, dies, or just about anything related to CPU longevity in non-base specs.

·
Waiting on New Hardware
4,478 Posts
personally, GPU, never exceed 90 C. CPU, always below 80 C

1 - 20 of 49 Posts