Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there OCN.
Oldest question in the universe but i gotta ask it, eventhough the internet is flooded with questions over it too.
I've built many systems over the years, in cases, testbenches, in a tank full of oil once and now in my new Desk PC Mod the mobo has died.
I've never killed a mobo before and I'm not sure whether i killed it by enabling too much force when tightening the screws and mashed the metal studs on the board (the mobo tray im using is from an old pc case and isn't very solid) or because, since i'm working on it at school, many curious people like to come around and touch the motherboard, pick it up and poke at it without being 'grounded' necessarily.
The sudden issue with the mobo is, i removed it from the tray, screwed it back on later, the system refused to post, cpu, psu and gpu fans would spin up then slow down and stop.

I've never worn an antistatic wrist strap or gone out of the way to 'ground' myself. I dont work on carpet or leave any parts on the floor or bed and avoid letting the parts touch my clothes.
When i breadboard a system it's usually on top of the motherboard box or on a wooden desk, and always touch something metal first (such as the PSU or case) because i've heard it helps.
It's never been a major concern to me, but how well have i grasped this whole topic? Have i done anything wrong as far as 'grounding' or preventing a short to happen as far as that goes?
Sorry if it's been asked this way before and i've missed it. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Grounding isn't important until you kill something expensive. I worked for a decade without a wrist band and didn't kill anything. Then one touch killed $1k in hardware. Now I don't take chances.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by littledonny View Post

Grounding isn't important until you kill something expensive. I worked for a decade without a wrist band and didn't kill anything. Then one touch killed $1k in hardware. Now I don't take chances.
Well said, im guessing what happened here is the same. In this case it's only a Gigabyte B75 board, $50 from ebay, was already open too so that's probably another thing to take into consideration next time too.
thinking.gif

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Very, takes really no effort and you can save your components from being fried. I've fried a perfectly good mobo while cleaning, 1 second of laziness resulted in me having to pay another 100~ for a motherboard. If you ask me, not worth it.

Just because you haven't done it yet, does not guarantee that you will not in the future. Remember that.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaSmurfsHarem View Post

Are you absolutely certain it's dead?

Have you tried it of the case/enclosure?
Yep. The other day while i had my hand in the case moving the motherboard tray and fixing up the cable management it stopped working when i tried to boot it next time.
Took all the stuff home, removed the gpu, reseated the cooler, tried different RAM, tried the PSU in another system (which did post), put the board inside an actual PC case too, however still no response from the board.
As far as grounding goes, does "touching something metal first" do justice?

Before i open my main rig, i always lay both hands on the case or touch the metal legs of my desk first. i don't understand it, but i've been told it helps.

For those curious, here's the system with the dead board. http://www.overclock.net/t/1375253/scratch-desk-build-the-desk-project/0_30

·
Registered
428 Posts
You don't necessarily need a strap.

Easiest thing to do is feel the inside of the PC with one hand, and touch the side of the case (which you just took off) with your other hand. Feel around the PC at 2-3 different places and you're good to go.
smile.gif

-Rich

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichiRichX View Post

Easiest thing to do is feel the inside of the PC with one hand, and touch the side of the case (which you just took off) with your other hand. Feel around the PC at 2-3 different places and you're good to go.
smile.gif

-Rich
Thanx for the info.
I dont think my local stores sell the straps anyway
tongue.gif

·
Registered
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonousRakija View Post

Thanx for the info.
I dont think my local stores sell the straps anyway
tongue.gif
Np
smile.gif
Of course, this is after you've turned off the power switch and unplugged the power cable ^^

I friend my PC once by connected the DVD drive while the PC was still on.. what a stupid thing to do.. even though I knew better! Don't know, I must have had a brain fart lol.

·
Premium Member
4,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichiRichX View Post

smile.gif

-Rich
That's only if the PC is grounded, aka if the power supply is in the system grounded to the wall.

Touching the PC case doesn't necessarily ground you.

Something that WILL ground you though is rubbing your hands on a wall plug in i've heard, like the screw parts (there are two screws on them, top and bottom) and they'll discharge you.

But honestly if just get a $10 wrist strap just because it can save you so much more in hardware loss.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam51037 View Post

That's only if the PC is grounded, aka if the power supply is in the system grounded to the wall.

Touching the PC case doesn't necessarily ground you.

Something that WILL ground you though is rubbing your hands on a wall plug in i've heard, like the screw parts (there are two screws on them, top and bottom) and they'll discharge you.

But honestly if just get a $10 wrist strap just because it can save you so much more in hardware loss.
I'm actually gonna check ebay and grab one asap, thought i dont think i've ever needed it really, $10 could save some losses
thumb.gif

·
Tech Enthusiast
12,388 Posts
I never wear one of those straps but I always ground myself before I mess with anything...

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
So...just for reference and clarity...unplugging the PSU power cord would negate touching the PSU for grounding?

·
Premium Member
10,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafboy View Post

I never wear one of those straps but I always ground myself before I mess with anything...
Same, never worn any kind of anti static but have never damaged anything, just have to make sure you discharge yourself when handling the hardware.

·
Premium Member
4,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie1337 View Post

So...just for reference and clarity...unplugging the PSU power cord would negate touching the PSU for grounding?
If the PSU isn't plugged into the wall it does not ground you, same with touching the case with the power supply installed, but not plugged in.

·
Premium Member
14,981 Posts
I'm not the most careful builder out there, but not careless either.

My grounding precautions don't go any further than not rubbing components against myself or carpet. Other than that...

The fact that I work my leaning onto a desk that has a metal frame covers my rear too.

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
Quote:

If the PSU isn't plugged into the wall it does not ground you, same with touching the case with the power supply installed, but not plugged in.
OH GOD I'VE BEEN DOING IT WRONG FOR YEARS!!! Good think I always knocked on wood first. Definitely keeping PSU plugged in from now on. Thanks.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
one time ... the grounding problem was the Case .. the Haf X , one of the soldering points of the front panel (the backside where those soldering points are cut of ) was rubbing with a cable and it actually pierced it and shabam

now i cant use the USB ports , if i connect them , it will not let me turn on the case , it will do the "short circuit" thing and shuts down in seconds

·
Registered
428 Posts
Quote:

Seriously? So you mean if I touch the inside of the PC with one hand, and a piece of metal with the other, it won't ground me unless the PSU is still plugged in ?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts