Overclock.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This popped up on my Android phone's Google suggested articles (thanks omniscient algorithms!) and at first glance, I thought this was a Verge-esque trolljob, but after thoroughly skimming through this, it looks legit. I'm still shook this written this year by someone with a Computer Science degree...

·
Official Luddite of OCN
6,083 Posts
Well in all fairness, sata is still the most widely used.

·
Iconoclast
32,534 Posts
Plenty of people out there who aren't well versed in PC hardware who could probably benefit from a modern article on SATA that describes it and compares it with other modern interfaces.

It's not like SATA isn't commonly used today. I don't see the issue.

·
Official Luddite of OCN
6,083 Posts
Plenty of people out there who aren't well versed in PC hardware who could probably benefit from a modern article on SATA that describes it and compares it with other modern interfaces.

It's not like SATA isn't commonly used today. I don't see the issue.
I've got 1x nvme (boot drive) the other three SSD's are on Sata on even my main rig. Sata SSD's are great for storage. So long story short, agreed.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I dunno, I kinda had a soft spot for SCSI. Although maybe it was just the horrified looks of colleagues faces when they realised that the 15K RPM HDD they had argued so persuasively for was going to sound like that all the time and be on their desk. :whistle:

·
Official Luddite of OCN
6,083 Posts
I dunno, I kinda had a soft spot for SCSI. Although maybe it was just the horrified looks of colleagues faces when they realised that the 15K RPM HDD they had argued so persuasively for was going to sound like that all the time and be on their desk. :whistle:
Never experienced 15k, but 10k Velociraptors were enough to scare most people away.

·
Iconoclast
32,534 Posts
Never experienced 15k, but 10k Velociraptors were enough to scare most people away.
My SFF box has two Velociraptor WD1000CHTZ drives in it (which I use for video recording and virtual machine scratch drives). They have a high pitched whine when the system first powers on and spins up the drives (they never sleep/spin down while the system is on), and are audible during random seeks, but otherwise they are pretty much dead silent.

·
Official Luddite of OCN
6,083 Posts
My SFF box has two Velociraptor WD1000CHTZ drives in it (which I use for video recording and virtual machine scratch drives). They have a high pitched whine when the system first powers on and spins up the drives (they never sleep/spin down while the system is on), and are audible during random seeks, but otherwise they are pretty much dead silent.
Maybe those were a bit quieter, the ones I'm referencing were 74gb drives circa 2004.

·
Expert pin bender
2,932 Posts
They would have been so much cooler and marketable with Velociraptors logos on the drive. Maybe like the ones with the clear window to see platter, they could have put a velociraptors arm and claw on the head arm. LOL

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
The 3.5" Raptors were pretty noisy, IIRC, but the 2.5" Velociraptors were quite quiet - I had four across different boxes because they were fast but weren't SSD expensive (1TB for the price of 64GB (120GB on sale) at the time I bought them...

But 15K RPM SCSI disks were a whole different beast. It always felt like they started up like the awakening of a neolithic beast (in series, no less, to avoid excessive power draw so the more you had the more times you had to enjoy it!), random seek was like a mini avalanche of rocks and had a constant whining hum when idle that was just the right pitch to really get in your head. And they ran hot too. I rescued a Supermicro box at work when it was being thrown out (with permission) which had two 15K SCSI disks inside, and I quickly gave up and passed it on to some other dumb... I mean, someone more needy than I. :ROFLMAO:

·
Iconoclast
32,534 Posts
Maybe those were a bit quieter, the ones I'm referencing were 74gb drives circa 2004.
I did have a pair of the original 36GB ones way back when and do recall them being a bit louder, but I'm not sure how much of that is due to the drive itself and how much was how I had them mounted.

·
Expert pin bender
2,932 Posts
The 3.5" Raptors were pretty noisy, IIRC, but the 2.5" Velociraptors were quite quiet - I had four across different boxes because they were fast but weren't SSD expensive (1TB for the price of 64GB (120GB on sale) at the time I bought them...

But 15K RPM SCSI disks were a whole different beast. It always felt like they started up like the awakening of a neolithic beast (in series, no less, to avoid excessive power draw so the more you had the more times you had to enjoy it!), random seek was like a mini avalanche of rocks and had a constant whining hum when idle that was just the right pitch to really get in your head. And they ran hot too. I rescued a Supermicro box at work when it was being thrown out (with permission) which had two 15K SCSI disks inside, and I quickly gave up and passed it on to some other dumb... I mean, someone more needy than I. :ROFLMAO:
I have a box somewhere in my garage with a bunch of SCSI drives can't recall what speed they are. I used to run a bunch of them way back and they were loud as all get out... Lol
I still have 3 or 4 raptors and those were noisy not only spin up but write/read too.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ahhhh, SCSI. Brings back fond memories of my SuperMicro P6DLS system. Still got the mobo with 2x Pentium II CPUs stuck in it still. No memory for it, but still got a couple SCSI HDDs and optical drives.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Computer networking classes are full of, this is old hardware, these are the revisions that happened, when, and why. Tech debt is a real thing, schools think they aren't doing their job if they don't talk about all the obsolete tech.

·
Official Luddite of OCN
6,083 Posts
I did have a pair of the original 36GB ones way back when and do recall them being a bit louder, but I'm not sure how much of that is due to the drive itself and how much was how I had them mounted.
True enough, the old cases were... tinny to say the least. Actually just bought some rubber mounts for the NAS I'm building from a circa 2003 case.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,791 Posts
This popped up on my Android phone's Google suggested articles (thanks omniscient algorithms!) and at first glance, I thought this was a Verge-esque trolljob, but after thoroughly skimming through this, it looks legit. I'm still shook this written this year by someone with a Computer Science degree...
Yeah it reads like someone only just learned about SATA and is flaunting what they know.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Scsi? I was on Adaptec, before that WD RLE 5.25 drives in my XT.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts