Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been having alot of issues with my laptop and out of curiosity i grabbed a 3 dollar T8300 and dropped it in and it solved my bottlenecking issues but how? it doesnt make any sense its only 2.4 the T9600 is 2.8. i never seen anything like this before. The laptop im using it in is an HP Elitebook 8530P and i bought it used with the T9600 installed. could it have been a faulty processor? i know the first question and no it was running 2.8GHz rock solid.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Are you sure the T9600 wasn't throttling? Technically the T8300 cannot be faster, it has lower clock and only half of the cache.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure the T9600 wasn't throttling? Technically the T8300 cannot be faster, it has lower clock and only half of the cache.
im positive it was a steady 2798MHz i monitored it in games with MSI Afterburner

·
Back to Building
4,863 Posts
Yeah i agree there either had to be something failing with it or it was throttling. There is no way the T8300 could be faster otherwise

·
Registered
27 Posts
maybe you change thermal paste ?? We should change thermal paste all the 2 years ^^

·
Registered
27 Posts
Even if it was a steady 2798MHz maybe the proco was failling due to age and temperature, have you monitored them ??
maybe try with another t9600

·
Premium Member
8,233 Posts
im positive it was a steady 2798MHz i monitored it in games with MSI Afterburner
Real question is the temps the CPU was running at.

That could play part in it.

As I had a T9400 in my old Lenovo Thinkpad T61P and the paste went bad and it was getting into the high 90c. Would cause stuttering and sometimes even full system lockups when trying to play games on the 8600gt-m it had inside of it. Repaste and cleanup did the trick.

Those old chips handled Heat in a different way, instead of downclocking it would just cause errors and instability.

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,521 Posts
Did the T9600 have Speedstep turned on? If it was off and if the CPU was overheating, then it may have been inserting idle cycles, despite running at 2.8 Ghz, that's what Pentium 4 CPUs did before they had Speedstep and it's probably still there as a backup technology.

When you changed the CPU you put on new thermal paste and may have inadvertently solved the underlying problem. 10 year old thermal paste may have no longer been good.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey

Your question was intéressant, we did some tests this night with teammates and our's old laptops. as said before 10 years old thermal paste have to be changed. Other tests we made was about throttling, some olds CPUs didn't change frequency but do nothing, as it was said before too the dynamic clocking is not a old technology.
last but not least you are using a multimedia notebook, and in our test (2007,2009 multimedia notebook,2006, 2007, 2010 gaming notebook, 2008 workstation) we saw that when CPU is overheating the 2 multimedia notebook throttle the GPU first so InGame perf was reduced. the gaming laptopand the workstation settle down GPU & CPU a little together. the worst is that in the two multimedia laptops the CPU dissipate heat in the laptop so before changing the TP the proco get 2000mhz at 100°, warm all the component and throttle GPU, get idle ...

thanks from the laptop which have restart because of you ;-) now I go back to TES 4 oblivion with my 2007 laptop

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry for the late reply. but it was not overheating first thing i did when i got it was replace the thermal paste. temps on gpu are about 73c with furmark and cpu was 62c under prime95. i dropped the t9600 back in and performance tanked back again. but this time some games ran smoother than with the t8300 and much smoother than before. must be a bad motherboard or something. to answer some questions speedstep was enabled and i did swap out the thermal paste before i even turned it on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
no probs.

you got this laptop recently ??

·
Overclocking
9,248 Posts
I have a old p8700 If you want that. It came from a Dell laptop, that I upgraded to quad qx9300.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no probs.

you got this laptop recently ??
not really. i got it last year this time but i didnt test a new processor till recently. i always assumed it was junk. my old dell vostro 1515 with an 8300gs(maybe 8200?) was faster day 2 day because the processor. im still not sure whats going on.

I have a old p8700 If you want that. It came from a Dell laptop, that I upgraded to quad qx9300.

Do you remember what laptop it was? Thanks for the offer but not really looking to spend more money on a processor. next thing i get for it will be the Nvidia FX 770M should be a giant upgrade over the 3650 in it now, the hardware encoding alone makes it worth the 25 dollar upgrade (Steam streaming)

·
Registered
27 Posts
okay so it's not a fresh restart, you said now the T9600 do is job ?? maybe a problem with Power management ?? Or just as one of my friend's 15 Years old desktop PC which won't start at all and now function perfectly. All we did is disassemble it completely and reassemble

are you sure your GPU isn't soldered ??

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
okay so it's not a fresh restart, you said now the T9600 do is job ?? maybe a problem with Power management ?? Or just as one of my friend's 15 Years old desktop PC which won't start at all and now function perfectly. All we did is disassemble it completely and reassemble

are you sure your GPU isn't soldered ??
sort of its still slower in games than the T8300 for whatever reason but as daily driver the T9600 is significantly faster. Oh im sure it is an MXM card not sure if it is 2.0 or not but this laptop has the same motherboard as the nvidia version 8530W which comes with the FX 770M and i have actually removed the 3650 in it when i first got it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
maybe processor's cache is faulty ??
okay, and you have no driver's problem ??

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I've been watching this thread since the beginning. I've been trying to ponder on why it's causing that. I've had this issue before but I forget how it was resolved.

the first thing that came to mind as others mentioned too was temperature issues would normally cause the flux.

writing this down as I think about it in my head...

do you see frequency fluxuation as in CPU usage?

had you attempted to keep it at a stable voltage / frequency and turn off power saving / speed step?

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've been watching this thread since the beginning. I've been trying to ponder on why it's causing that. I've had this issue before but I forget how it was resolved.

the first thing that came to mind as others mentioned too was temperature issues would normally cause the flux.

writing this down as I think about it in my head...

do you see frequency fluxuation as in CPU usage?

had you attempted to keep it at a stable voltage / frequency and turn off power saving / speed step?
i think i may have found the problem. im currently using a 65W charger (seller sent it) and while playing wow i noticed on battery the fps was about 79-80 on low 1280x800 but plugging it in the cpu load spiked to 100% on both cores and gpu load tanked to 34% and fps dropped to 12. i unplugged it and cpu load dropped to about 53-54% on both cores and gpu load spiked back to 100% and fps went back to 80. the charger isn't powerful enough. that's the cause. so im going to grab a 120W charger and see what happens. what's strange is the cpu speed stayed 2.8ghz the entire time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
not strange, it can just be a setting in your power management. try to switch to economy mode ^^

·
Overclocking
9,248 Posts
i think i may have found the problem. im currently using a 65W charger (seller sent it) and while playing wow i noticed on battery the fps was about 79-80 on low 1280x800 but plugging it in the cpu load spiked to 100% on both cores and gpu load tanked to 34% and fps dropped to 12. i unplugged it and cpu load dropped to about 53-54% on both cores and gpu load spiked back to 100% and fps went back to 80. the charger isn't powerful enough. that's the cause. so im going to grab a 120W charger and see what happens. what's strange is the cpu speed stayed 2.8ghz the entire time.
What program was telling you it was always 2.8ghz?

Download throttlestop, enable "more data" aka faster re fresh rate and monitor the cpu speed. I was never a fan of Intel speed step and always disabled in bios with high performance power plan plus throttlestop in the background to force full speed.

Here's my GFs laptop with the upgraded cpu (qx9300 from p8700). Besides the overclock (qxs allow oc) throttlestop keeps the processor at full speed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts