Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am experiencing something rather odd after upgrading my PSU and GPU in my stock Dell Inspiron 660. On my older PSU/GPU, my idle/light usage case fan speed was 1100-1200RPM, but for that same case fan, on my newer PSU/GPU, the idle/light usage fan speed is 1500-1600RPM. This is a good 25-33% jump, and it is very audible noticeable.

Thing is, temperature wise, both before and after it is similar. My CPU temps for example are identical. I am monitoring temps with HW Monitor. My idle GPU temps are slightly higher, but nothing major.

What can be the cause for this? How is the case fan RPM determined? How can I tweak it? I believe currently it is over-working itself and I would like to test if my hypothesis is true by settings the speeds slower and see if the temperature of any of my components/motherboard rises based on HW Monitor.

The PC is a Dell Inspiron 660.

Thanks!

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Does the new CPU have a higher TDP?

CPU temperature is monitored by the motherboard and fan speed adjusted accordingly.
If the new CPU is putting out more watts, then the fan will have to run faster to keep it at the same temperature.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

Does the new CPU have a higher TDP?

CPU temperature is monitored by the motherboard and fan speed adjusted accordingly.
If the new CPU is putting out more watts, then the fan will have to run faster to keep it at the same temperature.
I'm sorry, I was meant to say GPU.

The TDP of my previous GPU was 60W, the new one is rated at 120W. But, the idle temps are even lower on this new GPU (35C) compared to my older one (39C).

I am also talking about the case fan, not CPU fan (which works exactly the same as it did before my upgrade).

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Well, with a GPUs you're kind of comparing apples to oranges.
Each GPU (brand, make, model) has it's own fan speed/temperature profile and likely a different fan.

And case fans are controlled by a temp sensor on the motherboard. If that sensor is reading about the same temp with the new stuff then the fan will run at about the same speed.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, does it mean that with twice the TDP rating, twice the amount of heat is being generated?

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsjj3 View Post

Also, does it mean that with twice the TDP rating, twice the amount of heat is being generated?
At maximum load, basically, yes.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On Speedfan, I see PWM1 and PWM2. PWM2 is my case fan, however I cannot seem to be able to tweak it. Whatever changes I apply don't seem to take effect. Why?

Another thing I noticed is that for example, when my case fan operates at 1200RPM the CPU runs cooler than when my case fan runs at 1400RPM (both in idle mode, CPU fan RPM is the same at ~450RPM). Is this because the case fan is needlessly sucking air out?

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Many Dell motherboards have a proprietary fan control system. They don't even use standard fan connectors because Dell's fan connections are non-standard too.
So SpeedFan may not work.
What Dell do you have?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Inspiron 660.

Is it dangerous to use Speedfan? Assuming I feel like I am making things worse, is it possible to go back to default settings?

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:

Inspiron 660.

Is it dangerous to use Speedfan? Assuming I feel like I am making things worse, is it possible to go back to default settings?
I doubt that it's "dangerous".
Just uninstall speedfan.
Have you checked the BIOS for any fan options?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

I doubt that it's "dangerous".
Just uninstall speedfan.
Have you checked the BIOS for any fan options?
Nope, the BIOS is extremely limited. No fan settings as far as I can tell.

Just curious though, is it possible to get Speedfan to automatically run at startup, like MSI Afterburner?

·
Premium Member
27,147 Posts
At a guess our original 60w CPU always used same voltage, while new 120w one idles down to conserve power which lowers temperatures as well. but when you use it's power it makes twice as much heat as your old one did.
wink.gif
Like I said, just a guess.

·
I like computers
7,546 Posts
I know you are asking about controlling the fan-speed, but I know with me the variance in fan-speed is more bothersome than just the consistent hum of constant fan-speed. Ever thought of just hooking the case fan up to a molex adapter or 7V adapter and letting it run like that all the time? Not an option for some, I realize, but that's what I would do with it, personally, if there was no way to control it from the motherboard. Constant fan speed plus a better more silent fan might be an OK solution.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How much of a difference in temperatures can a case fan actually make?

If instead of getting it to run at 2100RPM (at its max) I get it to run at 1800RPM while gaming, will it negatively impact temperatures by much?

My idle CPU speed is 500RPM, my idle case fan speed is 1500RPM. I'm wondering if I am over-working it there?

The case fan setting seems to be by default governed by the temperature sensor located closer to the GPU, and this PC wasn't designed with a mid-range GPU in mind...so is it possible for me to tweak and still be safe?

Generally, what temperatures should I be keeping down with my case fan?

·
I like computers
7,546 Posts
Quote:

If instead of getting it to run at 2100RPM (at its max) I get it to run at 1800RPM while gaming, will it negatively impact temperatures by much?

My idle CPU speed is 500RPM, my idle case fan speed is 1500RPM. I'm wondering if I am over-working it there?

The case fan setting seems to be by default governed by the temperature sensor located closer to the GPU, and this PC wasn't designed with a mid-range GPU in mind...so is it possible for me to tweak and still be safe?

Case fans can make a drastic difference, and are basically the only way your are getting cool air in and out of the case. Without cool air, your CPU and GPU heatsinks won't be very effective. All I can say here is to check how your temperatures are for everything when doing some gaming and such, whatever it is you do with your PC...and see what fanspeed is needed to keep everything within spec. If you are only running a single case fan, which is not likely a 120mm fan even, and doing things like gaming, which put heavy load on GPU and CPU, you will be at the limit if you ask me. A single < 120mm is going to have trouble keeping most cases supplied with cool air in those situations, especially at a noise level that is acceptable. Any chance of adding another fan to the front of your case? 2 fans running at low RPM may be able to put out more air then a single one running high rpm, and be a lot quieter as well. I know most of those Dell cases don't have fan mounting spots though.

·
Premium Member
27,147 Posts
Quote:

It's not fan speed or how much air they move that matters.
It's about where the air moves to and from that matters.
You really need to read the 5th post in link I suggested above. It explains the difference between airflow and airblow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts