Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems to be a new "ASRock 970 Performance" "Supports FX 9590 & 9370 CPUs, 3-Way CFX, M.2, Purity Sound 2" with an 8+2 powerphase and 220w cpu support.

sounds like their answer to the MSI Gaming 970, as well as trying to take a stab at intel's z97 with the M.2 support, hmmmm interesting. Maybe it would be a better choice than the MSI gaming 970.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157577

not sure, it only has 3 reviews. So this, the MSI Gaming 970, and randomly years later the old Biostar ta970 getting a black/yellow color change as well as UEFI are apparently the only new am3+ mobos in awhile.

A reviewer on the 970 gaming complained there was no way to enter an exact voltage on the cpu? "Cons: The SATA ports are horizontal, and can be a pain to add/remove the cables. Overclocking on this board is also very weird, as MSI has chosen to go with voltage offsets rather than letting you enter an exact voltage. It was slightly confusing at first, and no where in the manual does it mention anything about offsets, I just had to figure it out on my own."

Would be interesting to get to push this 1055t past 3.5ghz, as well as 8320 support if I upgrade one day. Seems like it's built around the Streamer crowd too, including xsplit...although everybody I know that streams just uses OBS anyway. (which I guess is free since alot seem to use it...?)

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Sorry to bump up an old thread, but did anybody ever grab one of these boards?

It REALLY seems like a lot of board for the money, and I am seriously thinking about pulling the trigger.
My board is on the fritz with a dead PCIE slot, and some other funny stuff going on with the DIMMs......

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Newegg's reviews have a lot of complaints about VRM overheating and board death from that.

AsRock's staff responded by telling people they need to use down-blowing CPU coolers which is an odd thing to demand since pretty much all serious air coolers are side blowing (e.g. NH-D15). Their website also has a chart that basically says all FX chips over 95W need to use a down-blowing CPU cooler.

It looks like the board really isn't able to handle the load from a 9590 (or overclocked 8000x with similar or greater wattage demands) without a significant amount of air blowing directly onto the VRMs. So, it looks like having a fan jury-rigged to blow onto the VRMs is probably the best bet. It may also be a good idea to remove the heatsink to be sure there isn't too much paste. One reviewer said theirs was not making good contact which caused the board to overheat and die.

Of the 43 reviews, 26% (11 of them) are 1 star. All are verified owners. Also, only two of the 4+ star reviews mentioned overclocking 8 thread chips and the speeds mentioned were 4.2 and 4.3 GHz, which is hardly anything special.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts