Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about how many people or comps are working on the same thing at one time? why would staford do this besides if one never finishes. what happenes if one person finishes before another? does stanford just compair data to make sure every thing is kosher and give more or do they get differant results back every time? and why dont more people know about this? how long will it take to finish at the current rate? i think they should make like bumper stickers or something and get the word out. i am sure more people would do this since its pretty much free and could help mankind.

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
They might do a thousand of the same work units, on a variety of differant computers, and then compare the results, it makes the findings more accurate.

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
Over 530,000 people worldwide have contributed to the folding effort, so I think the word is pretty well out there. Research efforts like this typically rely on grant money and donations, but as long as they're getting good results, I imagine this project will continue for years to come. Being that there are so many diseases that this work can potentially benefit, there's no end in sight for the need of the research.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by taeric

Being that there are so many diseases that this work can potentially benefit, there's no end in sight for the need of the research.

they have to run out of protien sometime. i mean evolution or whatever has only come so far.

Quote:

Originally Posted by taeric

Over 530,000 people worldwide have contributed to the folding effort, so I think the word is pretty well out there

thats like less then .0001% of the worlds populaton. i under stand that not everyone has a comp or even electricty or a house for that but say 1% of 6,000,000,000 thats 60,000,000 (maybe close to number of computer in the world??) and 1% of that might have heard of folding is 600,000. just seems low to me. get it up to even .0003% and thats huge. should be doable. just need some rich guy that cares to run a few comersals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts