Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have some spare parts lying around -- an Athlon II X2 250 and 8GB of DDR2. I'm running OpenSuse on my backup server, but would like to throw something on the spare box. When I had previously tried out Ubuntu, the 64-bit support wasn't that great. Is it still the same? I'd like to utilize all 8GB properly, but would go with 32-bit and 4 GB if I had to.

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
When did you try it, back before 8.04? 64bit support for almost every distribution has been great for something like 4+ years now? Maybe even longer now?

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Well I wouldn't say it was 64bit support, it was probably more or less just lnux support. The athlon64's came out round 03' and I had one of the originals. I've been using 64bit debian since, and most of the problems haven't been 64bit support but more along the lines of actual linux support itself. As far as I'm concerned 32bit is dead in the linux world, I have no reason to install a 32bit system. 32bit emulation works perfectly if needed, though everything I use is 64bit.

[edit] 32bit support works so well you can run Crysis under Wine, that's pretty good.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
x86_64 has worked fine since I've been using, since maybe Fedora 10. The only problem I run into now is compiling and errors about files missing, when they are present, but the install file doesn't specify to look for 64 bit libraries. But that's easy to solve.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts