Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would assume that most people are almost constantly around their rigs (outside of going to work / sleeping
) but, as the topic title says, I've been traveling home from my apartment recently (due to the holidays) and couldn't figure out whether or not I wanted to leave my rig going.

The first time I did, and I checked my stats as often as possible to make sure that everything was still chugging. The second time, I decided to turn everything off. These were only 3 day trips, but I just wanted to be safe.

What do you guys do?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
If your system is stable and temps are in check no reason to worry as far as I am concerned. You can always remote in (logmein for instance) to make sure temps are ok and fans are working.

·
Premium Member
16,447 Posts
Well people that go away for long periods of time have remote desktop programs installed and live HFM stats to make sure everything is going according to plan.
The longest I have left it unattended was around 4-5 days, but wouldn't be afraid to leave it for longer than that.

·
Old School
1,636 Posts
I've left mine completely unattended for just under 2 weeks before, while I was on vacation and wasn't able to remote into it. I'm certain I'm stable, but I think 2 weeks is about the longest I'd want to go without being able to check that I haven't had some kind of hardware failure. If one of my cpu or case fans died it wouldn't be the end of the world, but it'd be pretty bad if my gpu fan died.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
I leave it running all the time. As long as its stable you have nothing to worry about. I do have logmein installed so I can check on temps every now and then, but I never stress about them anymore.

The only time I was a little weary was when I had watercooling. I just made sure the system would auto shutdown in case temps jumped up due to a pump failure or something.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I have my Folders Delight going on now over a month since I turned on the monitor... I've been away for up to 3 weeks with it running.
If the system freezes or looses power it restarts when power is back on / clients run when it boots up. Never worried about it unattended as I know what the temps stay at and by now I'm pretty confident nothing will leak.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Computers do not require regular checkups or maintenance. If your GPU fan fails, it will throttle down the GPU speed. If that doesn't lower temps enough, it will simply shut down, crashing your computer. I've had this happen plenty of times while folding on my GTX470 (it shuts down at 110C). Same for your CPU - it will throttle down and then shut down if temps get high enough.

Even if there is a short circuit of some kind - the worst possible scenario - the GFCI outlet and circuit breaker will both trip before your house gets set on fire.

No reason at all to be worried. Fold on 8)

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I leave it folding pretty much 24/7.

Once you get it all going right, you can set it and forget it. I need my computer a handful of hours each day, and honestly, other than that, I might as well have a good use for the computer.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
i don't check my machines unless my points updates are low, that means a machine shut off or restarted.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thefreeaccount
View Post

Computers do not require regular checkups or maintenance. If your GPU fan fails, it will throttle down the GPU speed. If that doesn't lower temps enough, it will simply shut down, crashing your computer. I've had this happen plenty of times while folding on my GTX470 (it shuts down at 110C). Same for your CPU - it will throttle down and then shut down if temps get high enough.

Even if there is a short circuit of some kind - the worst possible scenario - the GFCI outlet and circuit breaker will both trip before your house gets set on fire.

No reason at all to be worried. Fold on 8)

Ew never put 100% faith in breakers. I had mine over loaded and wanted to know how much amperage till it was popping. See funny thing is it was smoking at eh wall before it was popping itslef off. The breaker was rated for 15 amps yet my ammreader was reading 16.5 and was not breaking. The wall socket area gotten really hot (hence the smokin) it only tripped it when it went over 16.5amps. Turned out was a faulty breaker, nothing a quick jont oto the hardware store and 85$ later couldnt fix.

S0 ya never put too much faith in things till your proven them to work.
Then you can be confident in leaving things on there own.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I can't leave my i7 for more than 2 days because the evaporator would run out of water. My server (a 1055t) however can be left on for as long as I am gone, it's current uptime is 24 days.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Just use TeamViewer. They have a nice browser based remote access system that works very well, so I can check from anywhere.

·
Premium Member
18,219 Posts
id leave mine for weeks once im more confortable with my water setup working perfect.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Quote:

Ew never put 100% faith in breakers. I had mine over loaded and wanted to know how much amperage till it was popping. See funny thing is it was smoking at eh wall before it was popping itslef off. The breaker was rated for 15 amps yet my ammreader was reading 16.5 and was not breaking

That's why most houses have 15A breakers and 20A wiring.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stu.
View Post

. These were only 3 day trips, but I just wanted to be safe.

What do you guys do?

lol 3 day trip...

my comp has been on 24/7 for years now lol, just make sure your system is stable and i dont see a problem with leaving it on, well besides wasting electricity

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thefreeaccount
View Post

That's why most houses have 15A breakers and 20A wiring.

Yes I also have a 200 amp panel, still didnt stop what happened from happening..
There was an issue with the wiring, part was it had to many split junctions feading other places.

·
Premium Member
2,883 Posts
I would not have a problem leaving any of my folding rigs running 24/7 for any length of time.They are all stable and run within temps.I do check them several times a day just check their ppd or WU's they are crunching.I guess I'm not worried about failures too much but if one did happen then it's just time to upgrade right?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
5,123 Posts
My main folding rig has been completely unattended for nearly a month now. I am hundreds of miles away.
It is running an i7 with a rock solid 3.8 GHz OC and the 9800GX2 runs with no problems at all.

My room mate tells me one of the fans or something else is grinding so I guess I will have to make the 4 hr drive down and check it out some time... temperatures are fine though.
(lol, he told me he kicks the case when the grinding gets too bad)

I am currently paying rent on my place but living with my parents... so that rig is going to remain mostly unattended for a while longer.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts