Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Phenom 9650 @ 2.7ghz while idling @ 39*C and under full load at 63*C. my problem is the stock cooler which I dont want to replace until I get my Phenom II. So to the question...

If I oc A little more and run the temps past 70*C will I shorten the life by of the processor by much, and if so will it still last for another three months until I get my Phenom II?

·
a turkey is a bad man
6,432 Posts
If your buying a phenom II who really cares
But seriously you should be fine were you are I wouldn't go any further. I think 60 is the max for that chip.

·
Unimportant
17,772 Posts
You are most likely going to be ok for 3 months, but why not go ahead and buy a cooler, since they use the same mounting and you will need it for the PHII as well.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I think people do get a bit overly paranoid about temps. Really, its the difference between killing your chip straight off or reducing its lifespan. I think with those temps you'd be squarely in the latter category, and I would expect it to run for much more than 3 months at those temps.

ps you're getting a new cpu so what do you care anyway. rag that chip for all its worth.

btw that's not to say i don't think temps are important - phenom IIs especially seem to be highly sensitive to excessive temps (in terms of stability, not necessarily damage). However i'm still getting away with stock cooling @3.4GHz not exceeding 55c CPU temp prime95 for 10mins.

·
Chackie Jan
3,226 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pyra
View Post

I have a Phenom 9650 @ 2.7ghz while idling @ 39*C and under full load at 63*C. my problem is the stock cooler which I dont want to replace until I get my Phenom II. So to the question...

If I oc A little more and run the temps past 70*C will I shorten the life by of the processor by much, and if so will it still last for another three months until I get my Phenom II?

Why would you even risk it? The differences you'll see in OC'ing a bit more will be minimal.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking about getting a cooler but i wont be able to buy one for a couple of weeks, and I'm getting inpatiant. Plus the shipping cost for a PH2 and the cooler together will be cheaper than getting them seperate.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by K10
View Post

Why would you even risk it? The differences you'll see in OC'ing a bit more will be minimal.

I want to risk it... no I cant really think of a reason exept that I want to, the only thing I'm worried about is that this is my only computer and if the cpu dies before I get my PH2 then I'm left computerless

·
Chackie Jan
3,226 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I want to risk it... no I cant really think of a reason exept that I want to, the only thing I'm worried about is that this is my only computer and if the cpu dies before I get my PH2 then I'm left computerless

How often are you under full load on all cores?

·
Borking Builds Since 2020
861 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Your maximum temperature is 70C for the Phenom 9650, so atm you're good for another 7C. Give it a little bump or two, hitting 3.0GHz say, and you should come close to the 70C max.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts