Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you get a new mouse how long do you try it before you either know you like it or you know you don't. Im kind of having this issue. I have an FK2 and I loved it from the minuted I tried it. I recently got a Mionix Avior and so far I don't like it. I know it a great mouse and it definitely has features I like. But so far I don't really like the way it feels, it a little too big, I don't ,like the clicks as much as my FK2.

So what do you think, whats been your experience with new mice? Is it instantly I liike this mouse or do you have the give it a chance for a few days before you make up your mind.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Its more a case of once I discover something I don't like it never goes away. Certainly try it out for longer but what you'll find is that although you may get used to something with a sub optimal shape if you return to a mouse that you previously enjoyed for shape it will be like kicking off your high heels and putting on some slippers.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty much. I just plugged the Zowie back on and it's night and day. It so much lighter, so much smaller and easier to grip. There really never was an issue with the Zowie I just needed a mouse with more programmable buttons. Also that click lag thing I was alway curious about, even though there has never been a situation with this mouse where I said I bet that was because of click lag. In fact I feel like the clicks on the FK2 are easier than on the Avior..I definitely double click faster on the Zowie.

It would actually probably the perfect mouse if I could find a way to activate the left and right side buttons together.

·
Mouse lover
2,896 Posts
Less than a week to get 'used to a mouse' assuming you didn't change any sensitivity related settings. The 3310 and 3366 sensors are very similar. The 3366 is more responsive and can be swiped faster at a lower sensitivity without a malfunction - I can intentionally make the 3310 malfunction however it's extremely extremely rare to ever actually have it occur in-game. I also made my 3366 malfunction ? But on the other hand it could of just been flash player crashing my browser and somehow causing my rear panel to like reboot or reload drivers (as strange as that sounds, flash player has made my pc hard lock and other issues when it crashes)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Oh those memories. I remember when I first bought MS IE 4.0 for playing CS 1.5. Gaming peripherals market was very limited at the time. Purchased for 45 euro it was bloody expensive (compared to 5 euro genius optical) and practically zero possibility to return it. I suffered serious pains in my forearm first two weeks but didn't matter to me, I forgot about it while gaming
smile.gif
After these two weeks my palm adjusted completely for new grip (I don't remembe which one, possibily palm grip). I remember I performed best in my gaming career with this exact mouse and was accused of cheating several times.
When I destroyed the mouse completely I changed to Razer Diamondback which was much smaller and lighter and took again circa 2 weeks to get use to. Since Diamondback became pretty worn out I gave it to my friend and since then looking for perfect mouse. I'm on G502 right now and any other mice I touched felt somehow uncomfortable to me. Maybe I would get use to it but G502 has so many perks that it will be hard to switch to any other mouse.
When I saw IE4.0 not so long ago in my company and touched it after the years - man, I don't believe I was using it back then - pretty heavy, much uncomfortable, horrible scrollwheel...etc. Since then I believe you can get used to anything
smile.gif

So yeah, looking for perfect mouse is searching for holy grail. I think we will be never satisftied enough with anything.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
It depends on the shape.
On some mice you have to experiment a bit, if there is a special way to hold it, that is comfortable for you and allows good aiming.
It took me quite a while to find this way for my Rival, which allows very different ways to hold it.
Same goes for the Xornet, which i used before.

So IMHO, the only way to like the Avior coming from a FK2 would be to find quite a radical change in how you hold it.
If you want to hold it like you did with the FK2, then the Avior is undoubtful inferior due to weight and size.

·
Registered
318 Posts
There are some mice that forces the user to hold it in a certain way. Some players are able to adjust to it easily while others simply don't. What I've learned from this is that I must use the same type of grip for the mouse I'm going to use. So I look for the dimensions that are similar to other mice that I own that I find comfortable.

The only mouse that I struggled with for months was with the Mionix 7K. I've tried most of the grips with this mouse, claw, claw/palm, fingertip, fingertip/palm but I couldn't adapt to it and in the last month of use I started to have pain on the right side of my hand. This is how I found out that I'm a natural palm grip and that I can't change my grip anymore. I can't buy any mouse that are too low in height. It must be at least 42 mm height and 67 mm in width so I bought the EC1-A which is very comfortable for my grip.

·
Structural design <3
346 Posts
If it doesn't destroy my hand in a few days I keep it. If not - the box of mice it goes into.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I just went from a G500 to a Xornet II about 2 weeks ago. I'm honestly still not completely used to it. It's such a HUGE change not only in design and shape but weight and sensor quality. No complaints though. I think it's as much muscle memory as anything else.

·
Registered
578 Posts
  • Sometimes you will experience having many bad mice (shape, sensor) before you know what you actually like
    frown.gif
  • Personally I've used palm grip mice (e.g. Deathadder, MS IE 3.0, Rival 300) for the longest time because it was said to be more comfortable, however I tried the SteelSeries Xai and fell in love with the shape, much like others on the forums.
  • I now prefer ambidextrous mice, my personal opinion is that palm/ergo mice limit your movement depending on your grip styles and shape of the mouse.
  • I would recommend trying a flawless ambi (Zowie FK) and flawless ergo/semi-ergo (rival 300, zowie ec1) for a few weeks each.
    Analyze benefits of each, comfort/shape then sensor performance based on your play style.
  • If you play with a medium/high sensitivity your mouse most likely won't need to be able to track perfectly on fast large movements. ( generally a requirement of lower sensitivity players)
  • Also take into account the size of your hand, if you have medium/small hands then for example it may difficult to use the side buttons on a Rival 300 or ergo mouse.
I now use Rival 100 which does exactly what I need.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I usually give it a month.

Also I try to keep the experiments as consistent as possible and use only that mouse. It was a nightmare having to use the DA at home and a g9 at work,

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timecard View Post

• Sometimes you will experience having many bad mice (shape, sensor) before you know what you actually like
    frown.gif
  • Personally I've used palm grip mice (e.g. Deathadder, MS IE 3.0, Rival 300) for the longest time because it was said to be more comfortable, however I tried the SteelSeries Xai and fell in love with the shape, much like others on the forums.
  • I now prefer ambidextrous mice, my personal opinion is that palm/ergo mice limit your movement depending on your grip styles and shape of the mouse.
  • I would recommend trying a flawless ambi (Zowie FK) and flawless ergo/semi-ergo (rival 300, zowie ec1) for a few weeks each.
    Analyze benefits of each, comfort/shape then sensor performance based on your play style.
  • If you play with a medium/high sensitivity your mouse most likely won't need to be able to track perfectly on fast large movements. ( generally a requirement of lower sensitivity players)
  • Also take into account the size of your hand, if you have medium/small hands then for example it may difficult to use the side buttons on a Rival 300 or ergo mouse.
I now use Rival 100 which does exactly what I need.
I currently use an FK2 and its perfect for FPS. the weight, the shape even the huanos I like. I was trying to find a mouse with some more programmable buttons and i'd wanted to try the Avior since before I got the FK2 but the size and the weight put me off. I figured Id give it a try now since I was looking for something different and Id never gave it a try. Well I learned it was in fact too big and too heavy for my liking.

Ive tried Ergo mice, IE 3.0, and well hated it. I fingertip grip and it was just totally wrong for that.

Either way lesson learned now and now I know exactly what I like.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Never got use to my g9x's stiff as hell wheel click button, such a design oversight, imho.

Good mouse otherwise.

·
Registered
594 Posts
You're not going to get used to it, just go back to the FK2.

I've bought so many mice, and had my patience with so many of them, and whenever I feel like "i got used to it" the other mice I've loved completely shat on it. When you sit there and spend more time trying to configure the mouse instead of playing games, is a good sign that you don't like it. I spend days and days and days trying to get my mionix castor to the way I liked it, so many different options and a big mess of a software, and never felt the actual confidence in playing with it, still I tried to convince myself that I'd get used to it and that I'll like it eventually because of the shape was "alright".

Then I got my EC2-A and I loved it the first second I put my hand on it inside the freaking box, didn't even plug it in yet, and now It's my main mouse and I could focus on playing rather than customizing.

·
Mehehe!
2,779 Posts
Depends on shape, could be anything from 1/2 days to 2 weeks.

If the shape is similar to a Sensei/Kana/FK, I can decide within a day, 2 at most.

Shape wise I think the Rival 100 is one of the best ever. Sadly it has this weird feeling, even at 500 dpi, which I dislike (feels like prediction??).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts