Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a storage HDD backup in my pc and it contains lots of stuffs like movies, animes, and music and I'm so afraid that one day all of that files will be gone. In my question, how long does HDDs last? I'm using a WD 1TB Green 64mb AF, 2mos. old and I shutdown my PC 2-3 times a week. I just wanted to have some clue if I need to replace it a new one and transfer all files to avoid that file corruptions in HDD apocalypse.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,630 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by groomdedz View Post
I have a storage HDD backup in my pc and it contains lots of stuffs like movies, animes, and music and I'm so afraid that one day all of that files will be gone. In my question, how long does HDDs last? I'm using a WD 1TB Green 64mb AF, 2mos. old and I shutdown my PC 2-3 times a week. I just wanted to have some clue if I need to replace it a new one and transfer all files to avoid that file corruptions in HDD apocalypse.
forever if you keep it in a good condition
otherwise i would say >3-5 years
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
Good question actually i have the same question, i have 2 drives of 500gb on raid that came with my Alienware this goes back about 5 years or so, i dont have that system anymore but i keept the drives, i recently got myself a HAF X and im replacing my gtx 295 with a 480 and the 790i mobo and my QX6700 for a rampage 3 extreme and a i7 Gulftown, so shall i replace the drives too? since i had the new case they making a considerable more amount of noise, i slot them on the quick swap slots and i dont know if they showing signs of being old or something or if is from being on a diferent case, on my haf 932 didnt made so much noise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Pie View Post
forever if you keep it in a good condition
otherwise i would say >3-5 years
Thank you for your answer and what are the things that should I need to do to keep my HDDs in good condition?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
657 Posts
It will depend on the amount of usage you put the drive though. I would've thought that they should last long enough to transition between the available interface technologies. In other words, if you buy a SATA drive today it should last until SATA is superseded by some new technology, or the storage space available becomes insufficient due to natural progression in computing.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,630 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by groomdedz View Post
Thank you for your answer and what are the things that should I need to do to keep my HDDs in good condition?
don't drop it, dont shake your case if unnecessary to avoid vibration hitting the platters. dont' keep the drive running too hot.....umm thats all i can think of

jsut don't move it as much as possible after putting it into your HDD cage and jsut be careful handleing it in general....treat it like its glass
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,525 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by groomdedz View Post
I have a storage HDD backup in my pc and it contains lots of stuffs like movies, animes, and music and I'm so afraid that one day all of that files will be gone. In my question, how long does HDDs last? I'm using a WD 1TB Green 64mb AF, 2mos. old and I shutdown my PC 2-3 times a week. I just wanted to have some clue if I need to replace it a new one and transfer all files to avoid that file corruptions in HDD apocalypse.
Some last decades. Lots die young.

Replace it? No no no... you want all your important stuff on two. Don't just replace it with a newer one - that's no guarantee, and luck will probably bite you in the ass.

I myself turn my computer on/off multiple times per day. My drives are holding up through thousands of spinup/spindown cycles. My powered on hours are between 8000-40000 on most of my drives.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
The life of HDDs seems to be a random factor IMO.
According to my experience the probability of a HDD that had been used for 3 weeks die in the next minutes is just more of less the same with a HDD that had been in service for 3 years.........

For storage of important data multiple copies (i mean cold backups other than RAID) is necessary for safety. And to the OP, a storage of certain data without additional copies cannot be called to be "backup". Backup means you wont lost the data even if one or more of your HDDs fails.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,111 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by groomdedz View Post
I have a storage HDD backup in my pc and it contains lots of stuffs like movies, animes, and music and I'm so afraid that one day all of that files will be gone. In my question, how long does HDDs last? I'm using a WD 1TB Green 64mb AF, 2mos. old and I shutdown my PC 2-3 times a week. I just wanted to have some clue if I need to replace it a new one and transfer all files to avoid that file corruptions in HDD apocalypse.
Well replacement is never the answer, just get another drive then you can BACKUP the data onto it, and you will have 2 copies, so if either of the drives fails you can get a new one

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sizuke View Post
Good question actually i have the same question, i have 2 drives of 500gb on raid that came with my Alienware this goes back about 5 years or so, i dont have that system anymore but i keept the drives, i recently got myself a HAF X and im replacing my gtx 295 with a 480 and the 790i mobo and my QX6700 for a rampage 3 extreme and a i7 Gulftown, so shall i replace the drives too? since i had the new case they making a considerable more amount of noise, i slot them on the quick swap slots and i dont know if they showing signs of being old or something or if is from being on a diferent case, on my haf 932 didnt made so much noise.
Noise is highly dependant on the mounting of the HDD, rubber suspension of some sort will reduce the noise greatly.
As far as using 5 yr old drives, you would want to consider getting new ones since they are out of warranty and due for failure "soon" which could mean 10 months or it could mean another couple years.
However the advantage of new drives vs 5 year old is the greater areal density of the platters means new drive will be much faster.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMirrorLink View Post
honestly it is random, there are hard drives from the 80's that still work in my house
Yep random, although I firmly believe old 80s and 90s hardware on average lasts a lot longer due to lower speeds, and less performance/heat...
My father is still using a laptop with a HDD manufactured in 2004... seems quite reliable.
I have a drive I bought in 2004 which started showing errors in 2007 and "works" but corrupts files
I have another drive (Western Digital) that no longer spins up.. which was from 2003 or so
I have seen 10yr old plus drives that work fine, except they are dinky by today's standards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Pie View Post
don't drop it, dont shake your case if unnecessary to avoid vibration hitting the platters. dont' keep the drive running too hot.....umm thats all i can think of

jsut don't move it as much as possible after putting it into your HDD cage and jsut be careful handleing it in general....treat it like its glass
Yep, in fact some models of drives were made with glass platters... although now I believe platters are all made from aluminium?

Yep not too hot, not too cold, vibration and drops will kill them quickly.
Google did a study: http://labs.google.com/papers/disk_failures.pdf
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,944 Posts
Lol I actually have like an 11 year old IDE HD that still works. I think it's 20gb. It's slow as balls but it still works.

I also have a 5-6 year old 7200rpm IDE 160gb Seagate in my Pentium 4 rig that still works.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
711 Posts
Just a reminder .. Windows will "shut off" your hard drive if it is not being used after a cetain amount of time (like an hour or two) so even though your computer is on .. if you are not using any of the files on the drive then the drive should shut down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,944 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by loser7 View Post
Just a reminder .. Windows will "shut off" your hard drive if it is not being used after a cetain amount of time (like an hour or two) so even though your computer is on .. if you are not using any of the files on the drive then the drive should shut down.
Not if it's set to "High Performance" mode.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
32,930 Posts
I've still got a super old 100MB (yes, MB) Maxtor drive that still works flawlessly. It's obviously dated by today's standards, but it does still work. I have also had brand new drives fail right out of the box, and some a few months down the road to a few years down the road.

It just depends on your luck of the draw. That's why you should ALWAYS have a backup option. I have a RAID1 + an external that gets mirrored once a week
.
 

·
Man with Fans
Joined
·
7,746 Posts
Keep the HDD cool, do not expose it to strong magnetic fields or shock.
Vibrations too.

And always perform backups.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,767 Posts
And make sure you have a GOOD quality power supply in your system. Aside from heat and vibration, unstable power is one of the main causes of hard drive failures. A friend of mines Gateway went through 7 hard drives in 2 years. I kept telling him he needed to replace the PSU but he wouldn't listen (neither would Gateway for that matter as it was still under warranty). After the 7th failure I talked him into letting me replace the factory PSU with my Antec PP303X (this was a P3 system). Eight years later that system is still running with the same hard drive that we put in when we swapped the PSU.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,525 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
And make sure you have a GOOD quality power supply in your system. Aside from heat and vibration, unstable power is one of the main causes of hard drive failures.
Unstable power - not heat - is one of the main causes of RAM failure as well.

I always spend a good amount of money on my PSUs.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top