Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This whole thing is turning into a nightmare: first my hard drive, then my motherboard, then my GPU, and now my OTHER hard drive

I'm trying to format a 160GB SATA Samsung SpinPoint series drive for NTFS. I have partitioned the drive into 2 sections: one is 20GB for linux and the other is whatevers left over for windows. I connected it to my computer, booted up, went to computer management, partitioned the drive, and then set it to format the windows partition overnight. So that's about 10 hours right? I come back and it's 2% complete. PLEASE tell me somethings wrong here

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
overnight is to long

it takes me about 20 min to manage partions on my drive [9-15 task]but on a sata drive ? even 160 gb would be no more than two hours just to fill its partion table

so unless utra fast[3 gbt] sata isto partion at 3nanobits a second some thing is very wrong

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
it shouldn't take that long. It took my computer about 20-30 min to format my wd 250gb drive.

the larger the partition the longer it will take, but I can't see a 140gb-ish parition taking longer then about 40 min

·
Registered
181 Posts
Are you doing a low level format? It takes me about a hour for a low level format on a 36GB 15k SCSI drive. Don't know how long it would take on a 160GB Sata drive. I used to have a 150GB WD Raptor that only took around 15-30 minutes to format I think. Overnight is way too long.

Sounds more like something interfered with the process. I've had something similar happen to me when I leave a defragment process running and it gets cut off by the screensaver and the computer going into low power mode. When I resume everything it appears as if nothing happened while I left the computer.

Try disabling the screensaver. Also go into your Control Panel---->Power Options---->Power Schemes. Under the "Settings for Home/Office Desk Power Scheme" make sure that "Turn Off Hard Disk" and "System Standby" are on Never.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts