Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering who has the longest running MCP655 pump here. I know it's rated for 5 years, but we'll see about that. It's the variable flow rate model and I have it set to 5.

So far I'm going on around 2 yr + 3 mo so far. I change the water out every 4-5 months or so. I use PT Nuke + distilled water + 1 small drop of feser dye, just enough to give it a slight blue tint. I really don't want to gunk up my loop....

Next drain/fill I may not even put dye in the loop because the tubing is pretty foggy.

My build is an oldy but a goody

LL

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well, I had a D5 Vario/MCP655 running for about four and a half years in a display system... the coolant was changed once toward the end of 2006. The pump still worked fine when I gave the system away at the end of 2009.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Where are you located now Petra?

Mine has been running for 3 years so far... I believe it came from Petra with some YL...

·
Premium Member
11,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

Mine has been running for 3 years so far... I believe it came from Petra with some YL...
I think I got it from Petra's, but I'm not sure. I tried to find the invoice to see how it it was....no go there. It could be Petra's, Performance PCs, Frozen-CPU, Jab-Tech, or Newegg.

I bought parts from all over the place when I built my loop because I started with the GPUs only, then moved to CPU, then got a 4870x2 with full coverage block, then NB....

·
The Newt in Overclock.net
3,000 Posts
I got mine used.
had it for about a year in a very restricive loop. Never had a problem.
COnsidering there is only one moving part, I think they'll last quite a long time. and I believe that 5-year rating is for 24/7 use.

Either way, if you spend $85 on a pump, and it last 3 years nonstop that's only $0.077/day to use it(plus electricity). at its rated 5 years, it's only $0.046/day

not a bad investment considering most people probably go through $300-$400 of cpu every 5-years.

·
Premium Member
11,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deagle50ae View Post
I got mine used.
had it for about a year in a very restricive loop. Never had a problem.
COnsidering there is only one moving part, I think they'll last quite a long time. and I believe that 5-year rating is for 24/7 use.

Either way, if you spend $85 on a pump, and it last 3 years nonstop that's only $0.077/day to use it(plus electricity). at its rated 5 years, it's only $0.046/day

not a bad investment considering most people probably go through $300-$400 of cpu every 5-years.
I agree. My loop has served me well. It all started with fire-breathing 2900XTs that were overvolted (quite a bit too), and it's still going strong. My temps are still awesome.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

Me? Eh, I'm living in Southern California now (Palmdale... high desert... kinda the middle of nowhere) trying to figure out what to do with myself.

Not sure how many of you OCN folks browse XS, but I don't own PTS anymore and haven't since the end of 2009.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDMAN

Nice case Petra.

Thanks.

Originally, it looked like this:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mastical View Post
Very nice ^ Is that cardboard over a case?
Nope, just cardboard. There are more photos of it buried in my blog.

The motherboard and stuff is mostly held in with screws, nuts, and upside-down standoffs.... and packing tape... lots of packing tape.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Mine lasted about 6 months and then started doing this:
(took video to illustrate issue to swiftech RMA people)

Would randomly turn off for about 10-20 second and then kick back on again. It's a good thing I was monitoring pump rpms or I might not have caught it and could have fried the CPU while stress testing.

Risk like this made me switch back to Air.

·
Premium Member
11,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Petra View Post
Me? Eh, I'm living in Southern California now (Palmdale... high desert... kinda the middle of nowhere) trying to figure out what to do with myself.

Not sure how many of you OCN folks browse XS, but I don't own PTS anymore and haven't since the end of 2009.

Thanks.

Originally, it looked like this:
that's awesome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
Mine lasted about 6 months and then started doing this:
(took video to illustrate issue to swiftech RMA people)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKeBlT2XoGY

Would randomly turn off for about 10-20 second and then kick back on again. It's a good thing I was monitoring pump rpms or I might not have caught it and could have fried the CPU while stress testing.

Risk like this made me switch back to Air.

Provided that you're not just insanely overvolted, your CPU will cause a thermal shutdown (or your motherboard first, depending on what abs max settings you've set) well before any damage is done.

I've considered setting up some sort of shutdown system with my UPS and the apc daemon I run to safely shut down my system in the event of a power outage to where it could also shut it down in the event of my pump failing, but I don't think it's worth all of the trouble.

I would have to buy a flow meter or thermocouple and connect it to my motherboard, then write a script to watch it, then make the apc daemon watch that script......

It would be a fun little project, but I need to be studying.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've got 2 now. Started with 1 & the old one is almost 1.5 years already...

No problem so far. Guess that it's best that U change ur tubbings as it's the easiest thing to replace for WC parts. TFC UV colored tubbing looks great.

Stay with Distiled Water. If you're gonna make an order then consider:
Feser UV Colored Tubbings
Feser Aqua Double Distilled Water
PT Nuke
Silver KillerCoil

That's what I'm using... With that I guess that U just need to change the water once a year.

·
Premium Member
11,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf
View Post

I've got 2 now. Started with 1 & the old one is almost 1.5 years already...

No problem so far. Guess that it's best that U change ur tubbings as it's the easiest thing to replace for WC parts. TFC UV colored tubbing looks great.

Stay with Distiled Water. If you're gonna make an order then consider:
Feser UV Colored Tubbings
Feser Aqua Double Distilled Water
PT Nuke
Silver KillerCoil

That's what I'm using... With that I guess that U just need to change the water once a year.

Why did you buy Feser distilled water? You can go to the grocery store and buy a gallon for $1!

When I drain my system 2-3 times per year I flush it just like a car radiator. I never let the pump run dry though.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
I have the older MCP650, and i bought it almost 5yrs ago, used from someone on the forums here, which i believe he had it for about 2... And its still running.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
got it on 12/30/09 (i think i used a newegg giftcard) been running strong since, i just got an mcp655-b to help with the flow since i'm planning some pretty restrictive loopage (its a word... i swear, but dont look it up, just trust me)

·
Premium Member
11,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gdfthr248
View Post

48 hours for me......I hope mine lasts as long as some of these.....any tips for a long lasting pump? Sorry I just finished my first loop so I'm still catching up on this.

Use as little dye as possible. Use distilled water with PT Nuke. Also drain and flush it 2-3 times a year. I have mine set up where it's really easy to flush and drain.

I just have to loosen my hoseclamp on the backside/bottom of my case at the rad inlet, turn the pump on with a jumpered PSU for a few seconds, then it drains all of the water.

After than I put a funnel in the fill port in the top and begin flushing it with distilled water.

After I feel like I've flushed the old stuff out I fill it halfway with distilled, put 2 drops of PT Nuke, 1 drop of Feser dye, then fill the rest.

Ira-K used to recommend using a drop of Dawn or glycerine to act as a wetting-agent. I've done that before, but I don't bother anymore.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts