Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Extreme overclocker
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking around the forums and a lot of people are running high vcore (1.35+). I was under the impression that it would kill a chip @ 1.4+?

So how long have you had a 45nm chip at high vcore?

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
+1.35 vcore will not kill a chip instantly... it would very likely cause it to shorten its lifespan, and there is a very high likelyhood of it overheating or frying...

·
Extreme overclocker
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by sabermetrics
View Post

+1.35 vcore will not kill a chip instantly... it would very likely cause it to shorten its lifespan, and there is a very high likelyhood of it overheating or frying...

Yeah i'm trying to figure out how short...lol

if my chip could last 2 years @ 1.35/1.4, I would be happy to do it.

·
Banned
13,823 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ando
View Post

Yeah i'm trying to figure out how short...lol

if my chip could last 2 years @ 1.35/1.4, I would be happy to do it.

it would be fine. intel says the max is 1.45. but then again since when did we start listing to stock specs.

·
Extreme overclocker
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by G|F.E.A.D|Killa View Post
it would be fine. intel says the max is 1.45. but then again since when did we start listing to stock specs.
Yeah, fair call.

Quote:
For the e7200, the voltage range is 0.85V â€" 1.3625V... so anything above 1.3625, and you're on your own...

Source: http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SLAPC

Running your processor higher than specified voltages is fine, and could last a couple years, but you do run the risk of frying the chip, in which it may last you only a couple weeks... so its unpredictable

Cheers.

+rep for good help

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sabermetrics View Post
For the e7200, the voltage range is 0.85V â€" 1.3625V... so anything above 1.3625, and you're on your own...

Source: http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SLAPC

Running your processor higher than specified voltages is fine, and could last a couple years, but you do run the risk of frying the chip, in which it may last you only a couple weeks... so its unpredictable
Intel uses the same specs for all of it's 45nm though. An e7200 has half the cache of an e8400, so thats less components to generate heat and potentially fry, so it should be a little better on the voltage.

I doubt it will matter much if you run at 1.37/1.38. As a rule of thumb I keep it under 1.4V all the time. Highest I've run was at 1.408 for a SuperPI run.

·
Extreme overclocker
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by nathris View Post
Intel uses the same specs for all of it's 45nm though. An e7200 has half the cache of an e8400, so thats less components to generate heat and potentially fry, so it should be a little better on the voltage.

I doubt it will matter much if you run at 1.37/1.38. As a rule of thumb I keep it under 1.4V all the time. Highest I've run was at 1.408 for a SuperPI run.
how long have you had the 5200 @ 1.35?

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ando View Post
how long have you had the 5200 @ 1.35?
Pretty much since I got it about a month ago. I'm actually running at 1.368V right now, because 1.35 wasn't entirely stable.

·
Extreme overclocker
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nathris
View Post

Pretty much since I got it about a month ago. I'm actually running at 1.368V right now, because 1.35 wasn't entirely stable.

cheers, seems safe enough

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
i've had my E2160 at 1.425 for at least 4 months and it's perfectly fine. for 65nm, 1.5V is absolute max

oh, and these things (CPU's) are built to last 10 or more years. reducing the lifespan by say 2, 3, or even 4 years is fine for me...

·
Old C-130 Guy
4,995 Posts
I have had my e7200 running at 3.7 ghz on 1.36v since I bought it in July. I have had it up to 4.3 ghz on 1.6v for a short time... All seems well with the chip..

Even if I do kill it that gives me a reason to upgrade....

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I got my e7200 when it was fairly new, so i get to 4Ghz at low volts and a personal best of 4.25Ghz at 1.360vcore. But since i see no difference i run mine at 3.2Ghz at stock volts of 1.12v. Im the kind of person that feels upgrading parts every couple months is a waste. I want my CPU to last a few years

·
Registered
817 Posts
Isn't 45nm but my E6600 has been running at 1.47/1.52 since 2006. It fluctuates between those two points, due to me having to use vcore offset control +100mv, and setting my vcore voltage on auto.

Won't have it any other way, manually setting a locked voltage beyond 1.47 = no boot. Meh.

·
Registered
217 Posts
When Intel list their voltage specifications are those with Vdroop taken into consideration or are those relating to the figure that should be set in the BIOS? I'm running my E5200 with 1.325v set in the BIOS but Vdroop drops it to 1.296 idle and 1.264 load. I realise, I should be fine regardless, but its good information to have so that I know how far I can push this chip.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gillbot View Post
i've had my x3330 at 1.4-1.5v for months
Yeah, but a Xeon will take a lot more abuse.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
^^ hell yeah it will. and my buddy has ran his 8400 for the last 4 months @ 1.4v and it is totally fine so far. thats 1.4v after droop it folds its butt off without any complaints.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts