1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take a look at a distro map:

44218-linuxdistrotimeline-7.2.png

Larger

I was just thinking that we are really lucky to have this. Choice, freedom, lots of journeys to take in our exploration of different operating systems. It also means a company like MS can't force crap down our throats.

Imagine if you were Linus... your eyes would light up looking at that. Thinking what had become of his hobby kernel..

·
Banned
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaRTaco View Post

I'm not very familiar with Linux. Perhaps I will give it a go now that Steam is coming there
thumb.gif
Definetly! I recommend checking out either "Ubuntu" or "Mint." Both can be run as live CD's as to not make any changes to your system what so ever. Any more questions, just post
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I'd be all over Linux like a fat kid on cake if they supported all my games.

Until then, I'm shackled to the window.

I have it on my smaller machines and love it. It's just not viable for me though.
frown.gif

·
Overclocker
2,744 Posts
Hmm freedom to be forced not to play BF3........

Someone needs to hack dx11 and put it on linux...is it that hard?

·
Banned
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by icehotshot View Post

Probably, but I'm not sure. Anyway, Microsoft would have hundreds of lawyers jump on the person who hacked it

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Quote:

Some parts are already implemented into Wine. Though not enough for many DX11 only things to be functional.

·
Premium Member
8,574 Posts
Quote:

We don't need DX11...we need something as "easy/complete" (some windows guys said on this forum) that could help OpenGL along with being easy for the lazy devs and/or sequel pumping publishers. D3D and OpenGL are pretty even the last I checked(OpenGL had tesselation first IIRC)...it was the developing it and the audio things that people said were a problem; but that's what I've heard I don't know about that last part.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Quote:

When you don't have the source code for something, like anything owned by microsoft. Then yes it is very hard to do anything with it because its all a guessing game.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Why would I need car (win) if I have 1234 pairs of shoes (linux).
It's good for server and make fun of users. Nothing more. Having thousands of "custom" versions of it is same as having thousands of themes in windows and saying it's somehow different.

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNet View Post

It's good for server and make fun of users. Nothing more. Having thousands of "custom" versions of it is same as having thousands of themes in windows and saying it's somehow different.
Sigh, go troll elsewhere. Sometimes people really amaze me. Come to the Linux section to talk trash about Linux
rolleyes.gif
That makes a lot of sense.

·
Banned
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

Sigh, go troll elsewhere. Sometimes people really amaze me. Come to the Linux section to talk trash about Linux
rolleyes.gif
That makes a lot of sense.
This. Head back over to the Windows section.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNet View Post

There are so many things wrong with your analogy that I will just say this. The ONLY things windows has going for it is #1 gaming which is not a fault of linux. it is because of poor driver support of manufacturers. Also the fact that mainstream games are written for DX which is closed source and only MICROSOFT has the source. #2 is the fact that before windows 8 which forces metro at the user, even pc illiterate people can use the start/taskbar to navigate around and yes it is the same on every copy of say windows 98/NT/2000/ME/xp/7 when you install it.

So grandma can always figure out how to play solitare or minesweeper or go to www.coupons.com or something.

In almost every functional way linux is better and I am NOT! A windows hater I use it every day on my most powerful machine and it is an ok operating system and gaming platform. I just know for a fact linux is much more powerful and fun / easy to use with a learning curve.

Oh and windows costs money which linux does not....

1 - 20 of 62 Posts