Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,858 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,454 Posts
I crank out around 76-77 at 4.2GHz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats it?? Damn... That makes it just about as powerful as the 3 cores on the XBOX 360.. And here i was assuming it wud be close to the 280Gflops provided by the PS3 cell
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,824 Posts
Yes Intel Burn Test, it will test and tell you how many GFLOPS your cpu is giving you. The top Iv'e seen my 1055T gave me at 4.27 was 78.6GFlops
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rammbhat;11970303
Thats it?? Damn... That makes it just about as powerful as the 3 cores on the XBOX 360.. And here i was assuming it wud be close to the 280Gflops provided by the PS3 cell
It's a shame it puts out so few gflops, I'm thinking about swapping my cpu for a PS3 cell, should net me alot more performance, just gotta figure out how to get it to work with my mobo
rolleyes.gif
, cause you know, gflops are all that matter with cpu performance.

And by the way, download Intel Burn Test if you wanna see what the 1090t puts out, since you seem to own one...
 
Joined
·
6,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rammbhat;11970303
Thats it?? Damn... That makes it just about as powerful as the 3 cores on the XBOX 360.. And here i was assuming it wud be close to the 280Gflops provided by the PS3 cell
i bet you a 1090T would still encode video faster than a cell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rammbhat;11970303
Thats it?? Damn... That makes it just about as powerful as the 3 cores on the XBOX 360.. And here i was assuming it wud be close to the 280Gflops provided by the PS3 cell
Except, IIRC, when they're calculating the consoles "FLOPs" they're also adding the capability of the GPU.

Just like to point out, my lowly 5770 is capable of nearly *1.4 teraflops.*

Actually has more raw potential than the 460.. does that make it more powerful? Hardly.

Just like the XBOX is no match for a Phenom II x6.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes.. I do understand that its a different acrhitecture.. Well I just assumed that moores law wud kinda help things along.. The cell on the PS3 is like 4 yrs older than the phenom x6... So i expected the raw power of these wud be higher..

As some of u have pointed out, the phenoms wud definitely perform better at encoding etc compared to the cell used in the ps3.. But the cell from what I've heard can be customized well for niche apps.. Wonder why there arent commercial PC versions of it..Wud be a cool idea to port linux onto it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,009 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by rammbhat
View Post

Yes.. I do understand that its a different acrhitecture.. Well I just assumed that moores law wud kinda help things along.. The cell on the PS3 is like 4 yrs older than the phenom x6... So i expected the raw power of these wud be higher..

As some of u have pointed out, the phenoms wud definitely perform better at encoding etc compared to the cell used in the ps3.. But the cell from what I've heard can be customized well for niche apps.. Wonder why there arent commercial PC versions of it..Wud be a cool idea to port linux onto it!

Which is more important, raw power or capability? EDIT: Maybe 'functionality' is the word I'm looking for.

If 'raw power' as you put it, were the only important factor, we'd all be using GPUs for processors. A 6970 is capable of 2.7 Teraflops, or 2703 GFLOPs after all. A 5970? 4640 GFLOPs.

So, how does that Cell look compared to -that-? Pretty damn old fashioned, I'd say. But you're looking at this from a very one dimensional viewpoint..
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: rammbhat

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So what wud be a nice universal way to rate ALL processors? Transistor count? Whetstones? From what I know all of the measures are limited to an application domain
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,009 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by rammbhat
View Post

So what wud be a nice universal way to rate ALL processors? Transistor count? Whetstones? From what I know all of the measures are limited to an application domain

What about basic functionality? Like the ability to run x86 code? Not everything is measured in numbers.

At least, I don't think the PS3 Cell is x86 capable.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rammbhat;11970632
So what wud be a nice universal way to rate ALL processors? Transistor count? Whetstones? From what I know all of the measures are limited to an application domain
There is no possible way to compare CPU's of differing architectures. They have different prices, uses, architectures.

Sure the Cell could be good at encoding, but the market will not put up with a dedicated Cell processor (as proven by Toshiba).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueg50;11970819
There is no possible way to compare CPU's of differing architectures. They have different prices, uses, architectures.

Sure the Cell could be good at encoding, but the market will not put up with a dedicated Cell processor (as proven by Toshiba).
Yeah.. I was going to try and use this analogy:

If phenom can walk 4mph, Cell can walk 6mph, but Phenom can fly (while Cell can't) which has more mobility? How can we even compare these things?
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top