Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
8,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is one white Visible Cap on m 4890 xxx, and depending how much load is on the card, that thing will really hiss. If your in a relatively quite room while playing a game with the volume low, its noticeable. How many of you all have this? Its not really a problem but just wondering.

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
I don't have an ATI card, but I do get cap whine on my GTX 260. For me, it's a regular, periodic, high-pitched, yet low volume sound. It's not noticeable when gaming or playing music, but when I head to bed I can hear it.

It doesn't seem to affect my card though. I'm still able to OC my card past SSC speeds while still stable folding 24/7.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
i use to get it if i heavily loaded my old 8800 GTS 512 constantly all the time, yh, the whining hiss sound use to bug me, as i hate bee's /wasps as it is.. so tried to never fully load my card

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Got it on my 4870, although its not as bad as when I had my 3870X2's, those puppies were LOUD. Only happens when I play games though and it chirps here and there when I scroll through pages slowly otherwise its easy to get used to so I don't notice it much.

·
Banned
8,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by cs_maan View Post
Got it on my 4870, although its not as bad as when I had my 3870X2's, those puppies were LOUD. Only happens when I play games though and it chirps here and there when I scroll through pages slowly otherwise its easy to get used to so I don't notice it much.
This. yeah i get it when surfing the web where there is alot of on screen ads or whatever. haha

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Yeah its not a problem though, just an annoyance if you can't get used to it, I kind of wish I had my 7900GT, thing was silent like a soundproof room.

·
Banned
8,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by cs_maan View Post
Yeah its not a problem though, just an annoyance if you can't get used to it, I kind of wish I had my 7900GT, thing was silent like a soundproof room.
Yeah, maybe solid state caps? the 4870 is a beast of a card.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazloisdavrock View Post
Yeah, maybe solid state caps? the 4870 is a beast of a card.
Probably would make it a little more pricey but definitely a good idea, my mobo is covered in solid state caps, haven't heard a peep from it. I think it might make graphics cards more expensive if they started using SSC's on them.

·
VeeDub Enthusiast
4,521 Posts
my caps lesson so far in the last 6 month;

4 x xfx 4890 new revision with middle fan
1 x xfx 4890 xxx edition
1 x xfx 5870
1 x gigabyte gtx280

i think thats all the ones i had that annoyed me

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
had it bad on my 260 55nm, I stepped up to a 275, and all is gone,

·
Banned
8,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by hitman1985 View Post
my caps lesson so far in the last 6 month;

4 x xfx 4890 new revision with middle fan
1 x xfx 4890 xxx edition
1 x xfx 5870
1 x gigabyte gtx280

i think thats all the ones i had that annoyed me

Oic, good info Mate.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
My DFI infinity Dark had crazy whine,the more the cpu load, the louder it got, was kinda annoying.

·
4kfan
4,224 Posts
i do. on both of the 5870s

·
Registered
26 Posts
My HIS 5750 is pretty quiet, no cap whine and hardly a whisper out of the fan. Oddly enough I can hear what I *think* to be cap whine coming from my dad's iMac with a HD2600pro - really odd considering that thing is encased in metal about 5mm thick. But it is a Mac so it might just be getting ready to blow up or something...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts