Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a computer completely cooled by water. RAM, Mosfets, Chipset, CPU, Dual GPU (770), as well as 2x240mm rads, and about 7-9 90º fittings, all strung together on 3/8 ID tubing. I want everything overclocked as far as I can get it.

The block list looks something like this:
Koolance 380i
2x EK-FC770 GTX (Copper)
4x Koolance RAM-33
Koolance CHC122
EK M5G Mosfet cooler for a Maximus V Gene

I'm wondering if one 655 is enough, or if I need to switch my choice to a 35X or even the Swiftech MCP35X2.

Also, will this be enough radage, or will I need more? I'm building in a Corsair 350D and suggestions on rads are more than welcome.

Before you tell me the massive number of blocks is overkill, I know, and that's why I'm doing it.
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
I'd agree and aim for the 35X2. I've got 7 blocks, 3 quad rads and get just under 4lpm (around 1gpm) flow rate with the pumps at full speed and around 0.75lpm with the pumps at around 1500rpm.

The rads will be adequate but no more than that.

·
Watercooled Railgun
4,630 Posts
I have a regular DDC-1T and it works perfectly, even when i was watercooling my RIIIE. A single 655 would do the trick as it has more power than a DDC pump.

About the rads, 480mm is the minimum recommended for CPU+SLI. The 770's should emit less heat than my 7970+7950, and with two 240mm rads i keep them in a chilly 55c even at 100% BOINC load. If you can get a 360+240mm setup it would be best, since even if the mobo+RAM won't generate as much heat as the CPU or any GPU, it is still extra heat dumped in.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
You probably need more rads for all of that.....

General rule of thumb is 1 120mm rad space per block + 1.

You have like 6 blocks (cpu, 2 gpu, ram, chipset, mosfet)....so at least 7 total would be ideal

You are spec-ing 2 240rads, which is 4 120 rad spaces, so you would want to add a 360mm rad to your setup...Since the RAM won't put too much heat into the loop, you may be able to get by with only adding another 240mm rad

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphon View Post

You probably need more rads for all of that.....

General rule of thumb is 1 120mm rad space per block + 1.

You have like 6 blocks (cpu, 2 gpu, ram, chipset, mosfet)....so at least 7 total would be ideal

You are spec-ing 2 240rads, which is 4 120 rad spaces, so you would want to add a 360mm rad to your setup...Since the RAM won't put too much heat into the loop, you may be able to get by with only adding another 240mm rad
Counting the Ram block is not necessary.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only real reason to get the RAM block is to tie in the aesthetics for the system, and seeing as I have the money, I thought "Why not, right?"

Anyway, it looks like the 35X2 has the majority of votes, which is good to know. About the extra rad, I think I'll mod a 240 onto the back by doing some cutting around the already-existing 120 hole. Do you think it's possible to get away with that?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timerwin63 View Post

The only real reason to get the RAM block is to tie in the aesthetics for the system, and seeing as I have the money, I thought "Why not, right?"

Anyway, it looks like the 35X2 has the majority of votes, which is good to know. About the extra rad, I think I'll mod a 240 onto the back by doing some cutting around the already-existing 120 hole. Do you think it's possible to get away with that?
I don't think you will be able to get a 240 on the back unless you cover up the PCI slots or have it sticking out or above the top. I personally don't like having anything external.

If you dont need those bottom cages, you 'might' be able to pop it out (may require taking out some rivets) and drilling out a couple fan holes and mounting it in the bottom. Also assuming there is room between PSU and the front rad as well.

Another possibility, is put a 120 or 140 on the back fan spot and then another 120 or 140 in the bottom between the PSU and cages. You will have to get out a ruler and see what will work.

·
STG3 VET
13,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timerwin63 View Post

I would of put the money to get a 780,but to each of their own

·
Old C-130 Guy
4,995 Posts
IMHO that seems like to much heat for 2-240 rads.... Maybe a pair of 360's.

Also 7/16 tubing would give you more flow on G 1/4 fittings.

What are the size of the fitting on the RAM blocks? If to small they may effect the flow of the entire loop.

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
If you NEED quiet then go with the MCP35x2, if you would prefer to sacrifice noise for budget, the PMP-500 would be more than sufficient, and cost less than half.

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by By-Tor View Post

IMHO that seems like to much heat for 2-240 rads.... Maybe a pair of 360's.

Also 7/16 tubing would give you more flow on G 1/4 fittings.

What are the size of the fitting on the RAM blocks? If to small they may effect the flow of the entire loop.
7970's GPUs are around 230watts TDP.

So we have about 500 TDP from the two video cards. A high overclocked CPU will have around 200watts. Let's assume he's not going to be pushing a super powerful overclock and say around 150watts.

He now has a heatload of 650 watts.

Most 360 rads have around 230watts of cooling at 10 Celsius dTemp with standard fans.

So 2/3 of that is about 150 watts of cooling. He has 300 watts heat dissipation at 10celcius dT.
So.... he should be able to manage, mind you he'll have a pretty high delta Temp rule out pushing any powerful overclocks, if any.

It's definitely recommended to add more radspace, but if he /can't/ then this will manage.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZytheEKS View Post

If you NEED quiet then go with the MCP35x2, if you would prefer to sacrifice noise for budget, the PMP-500 would be more than sufficient, and cost less than half.
agreed

PMP500 > MCP35x2, but I own the PMP-500 and it is noisy, not going to sugar coat it.

The pump is a beast though... I'm pushing 4.4 liters/minute with 4 QDC's, 3 radiators, 3 blocks, a Koolance flow meter, and quite a few angled fittings!

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesaiditstrue View Post

agreed

PMP500 > MCP35x2, but I own the PMP-500 and it is noisy, not going to sugar coat it.

The pump is a beast though... I'm pushing 4.4 liters/minute with 4 QDC's, 3 radiators, 3 blocks, a Koolance flow meter, and quite a few angled fittings!
MCP35x2 is actually more efficient below 3.5GPM, and there is absolutely no reason you would even want anything beyond 2GPM (unless you plan to do something like quad SLI in parallel, and want best performance) On the other hand, the PMP500 is less than half the price....

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quiet is really a necessity, and I've saved more than enough for this build (around $4500). Right now, I'm worried mostly about sound and performance, so with that in mind, the 35X2 is the pump of choice?
@Juggalo, tbe reason for the 770 SLI is because of the massive price/performance ratio (outperforming a Tiitan in most cases) and gaming at 2560x1600.

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
The 35X2 is quiet at slow speeds but fairly noisy the closer it gets to maximum speed. I have mine set with PWM (Asus Fan Xpert) to run at slow speeds when the system is under low to moderate loads then ramping about to higher speeds at higher loads. I very rarely use it on full speed.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts