Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put up 4 computers(2 intel/2 AMD) and I haven't tested them yet coz I don't have an extra OS lying around...

So I'm looking to buy a W7 Pro or Home, Full Retail.

Now my question is, how many time(s) can I install W7 retail (without activating it) so I can just test out my newly built PC's? Is there a limitation on how many times you can install it?

thanks in advance!

Edit: Also if I decide to activate it, is there anyway that I can deactivate it and activate on a different PC?

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
w/o activation, you can technically install as many times as you want. You dont even need to put a product key when you install.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
As far as i know as many as you please. As it gives you 30 days to activate it then. But the key is only good for one pc though.

·
Banned
10,292 Posts
yeah and after the key is up you can just call microsoft and ask them for a new key if you have to reinstall or something. i did that when reactivating windows XP back then when the key i had didnt work.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I had LEGIT Dell win 7 pro 64bit cd"s but they wouldn't work ( I couldn't activate them WHATSOEVER)(they came with a Dell laptop from work) and I forgot the name of the software, and badaboom, activated!

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Master Chief
View Post

1 with activating, otherwise it will last 30 days without on as many computers as you want.

I seen what you did........................

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_K
View Post

As far as i know as many as you please. As it gives you 30 days to activate it then. But the key is only good for one pc though.

There's actually a legal way to extend the trial period to up to one year if you want. It's on an article on AskVG (you guys should check out that website; it's awesome).

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by roanie25 View Post
would that 30 days expiration will restart if I uninstall the OS?
The only way to really uninstall it is to basically reformat the HDD. But I don't know if this will restart the clock, so to speak.

As long as you don't activate any of them, each computer will have 30 days.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
The correct answer is: 120 days.

Use the slmgr /rearm command in administrator mode activated command prompt to renew your activation period for another 30 days. This can be done 3 times for a total of 120 days per fresh installation of windows 7.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/1...7-to-120-days/

Worked for me!

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by roanie25 View Post
so after 120 days i will be forced to activate it? what if im not connected to the internet?
Then you'll be able to call.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts