Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought the Arctic Silver 5 thermalpaste and i was wondering how much should i put it on the CPU, and also i used the zalman thermal paste before so should i clean out the CPU plate first then apply the AS5 in or just mixed the Zalman thermal paste with AS5

·
Banned
313 Posts
In the directions it should tell you the surface area the whole tube is recomended to cover, so you can try to aproxximate from that, but you want a pretty thin layer. Make sure that there are no air bubbles by twisting the heat sink back and forth a little before you re connect the hsf to the mobo.

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey122687

i just bought the Arctic Silver 5 thermalpaste and i was wondering how much should i put it on the CPU, and also i used the zalman thermal paste before so should i clean out the CPU plate first then apply the AS5 in or just mixed the Zalman thermal paste with AS5

Check this out.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...structions.htm

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But do i need to scape off the existing thermal paste first, then re-apply the AS5?? if so then how do i do it without hurting the CPU

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey122687

But do i need to scape off the existing thermal paste first, then re-apply the AS5?? if so then how do i do it without hurting the CPU

Use rubbing alcohol and a clean rag that is ok to ruin forever.

If you have to scrape use a credit card

And yes you have to get the old stuff off

·
Registered
930 Posts
!!!! i cannot stress how much, dont spread as5, all you have to do is put a decent amount in the center of the cpu in the shape of a dot, and just squish it in when ur installing ur hsf.

^^this is for the cpu's with the heatspreader.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningRioT

!!!! i cannot stress how much, dont spread as5, all you have to do is put a decent amount in the center of the cpu in the shape of a dot, and just squish it in when ur installing ur hsf.

^^this is for the cpu's with the heatspreader.

^^^ I agree. I wouldn't say a decent amount though. I achieved the best results when using a blob about the size of a Bic medium point ball point pen. Yup, that's it, just a tiny little dab with AS5 and a Pentium 4.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts