Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an optiplex with a i7 870 on it I wanted to squeeze a bit more of the hard, but the bios of course does not have Oc capabilities. So I would like to know which software should I use on windows to actually overclock it ( I know I wont be able to achieve 4 ghz with it but I wanted to give it a try)

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
You can software OC it but OEM boards aren't designed to OC so if you add voltage you'll likely kill it. However CPUs tend to run of higher voltage than they need so you might get a few hundred mhz out of it.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
you cant unless you get a retail motherboard.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
answer

How would I be able to do it if I dont know which software to use on W7 to modify it? I just want a few MHZ from it nothing fancy

You can software OC it but OEM boards aren't designed to OC so if you add voltage you'll likely kill it. However CPUs tend to run of higher voltage than they need so you might get a few hundred mhz out of it.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
You didn't google OC software before you posted this? They all do the same thing, I'd try XTU but it might not work .

·
Old to Overclock.net
1,616 Posts
Try throttle stop.

I have a HP X58 Server board and it allows multi overclock. Currently running my W3680 at 4.0 on a crappy oem motherboard. However your mileage will vary, the w3680 has an unlocked multi and it allows me to change it.

Good luck

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tried TS and couldnt change the multiplier to more than 23t same 3.1ghz

Try throttle stop.

I have a HP X58 Server board and it allows multi overclock. Currently running my W3680 at 4.0 on a crappy oem motherboard. However your mileage will vary, the w3680 has an unlocked multi and it allows me to change it.

Good luck
tried but I can only raise the multiplier to 23T it didnt allow me to go further even when I see on CPU Z that I can reach 27...

You didn't google OC software before you posted this? They all do the same thing, I'd try XTU but it might not work .
I did tried clockgen, cpu tweaker nothing happened

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Do you have your answer yet? Lol

·
Nvidia "shill"
1,429 Posts
tried TS and couldnt change the multiplier to more than 23t same 3.1ghz

tried but I can only raise the multiplier to 23T it didnt allow me to go further even when I see on CPU Z that I can reach 27...

I did tried clockgen, cpu tweaker nothing happened
In all honesty I wouldn't attempt to overclock it on a Dell motherboard, the VRM's and MOSFETs weren't designed for more than stock usage and if you do succeed it may or may not kill the motherboard's power delivery. Your best option would be to find a good secondhand 1156 board with decent overclocking potential. I mean I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I killed 2 OEM desktops attempting the same thing with only a minor bump in clock speed.

Anyway if you really are adamant about it you only really have 2 options:

1. Throttlestop, which you said you've tried but its the really only good option as far as software overclocking goes at least.

2. BIOS modding your optiplex board and hoping it has a multiplier option hidden somewhere in there (which I won't explain how to do for the sake of liability issues, and the fact that BIOS modding Dell's is a pain in the (you know what). But you may be able to find someone has already modded the BIOS on the motherboard you have by checking here: https://www.bios-mods.com/

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
SetFSB works on my $25 Dell Optiplex 755.

upgraded to Q9400 quad core and 8 Gigs of 800 MHz memory.

CPU: 2.6 GHz to 3.0 Ghz
Memory (8 Gigs): 800MHz to 900MHz.
Voltage control: Throttle Stop.

Had to do a lot of work on cooling though. OCCT or IBT: max 62°c.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In all honesty I wouldn't attempt to overclock it on a Dell motherboard, the VRM's and MOSFETs weren't designed for more than stock usage and if you do succeed it may or may not kill the motherboard's power delivery. Your best option would be to find a good secondhand 1156 board with decent overclocking potential. I mean I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I killed 2 OEM desktops attempting the same thing with only a minor bump in clock speed.

Anyway if you really are adamant about it you only really have 2 options:

1. Throttlestop, which you said you've tried but its the really only good option as far as software overclocking goes at least.

2. BIOS modding your optiplex board and hoping it has a multiplier option hidden somewhere in there (which I won't explain how to do for the sake of liability issues, and the fact that BIOS modding Dell's is a pain in the (you know what). But you may be able to find someone has already modded the BIOS on the motherboard you have by checking here: https://www.bios-mods.com/
TS seems a good piece of software much better than the ones that I tried, no new result I could not raise the multiplier

SetFSB works on my $25 Dell Optiplex 755.

upgraded to Q9400 quad core and 8 Gigs of 800 MHz memory.

CPU: 2.6 GHz to 3.0 Ghz
Memory (8 Gigs): 800MHz to 900MHz.
Voltage control: Throttle Stop.

Had to do a lot of work on cooling though. OCCT or IBT: max 62°c.
I tried but it seems not to be working u.u

·
Nvidia "shill"
1,429 Posts
If you're talking about SetFSB it only works on older chipsets.
Yeah one's that used a front side bus, but older ones than the Nehalem and Westmere stuff. (i.e. LGA 775 chips, PGA 478 etc etc) rather than Intel's Ring Bus (Coffee Lake, Broadwell, Haswell, Ivy Bridge, Sandy Bridge etc.) if I am not mistaken.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Don't oc on this board you have.
Go find a high end board for its time that will work with this cpu and some the best cooler you can fitt in the case / afford.
Better than the thing exploding if you care about it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts