Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am about to have 2 of these gtx460s

I heard they have good oc potential, so my question is what is a good voltage and oc for these cards? how high can I push the cards in terms of voltage and clock rates? i've never oc'd a gpu before

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
They overclock like mad. At least 850 core easily.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i know you can up it, but idk whats the max, what is the safe zone? I don't want to burn these cards, I don't have the cards yet so idk the stock voltage on these

·
How many volts!?
3,430 Posts
Good cards and OC like champs.

Good starter card for oc'ing GPUs As well.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
My GTX 465s are core 950mv stock and I can raise them to 1.087v max, which I have done without any problems. But wow does the power consumption rocket.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think as long as the temps are ok you can go pretty high on the voltage. I think 105c is the maximum temperature. Probably keep them below 90 just to be safe.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You should be able to do at least 1.087 safely. I have heard of people going higher, like more towards 1.2, but I'm not sure how safe that is or if it would be good for a 24/7 overclock.

Someone else told me you can go a high as the settings in MSI Afterburner will let you as long as your temps are OK.

·
!
9,170 Posts
Chinesethunda you just plan on using these for normal gaming correct? No week-long nonstop crysis running or other constant load programs like folding? If for just normal gaming then I think you should be fine at 1.087v and probably even 1.1v too, but any more than that and I would start to worry about the lack of VRM cooling on these cards. You can see the VRM sinks I mentioned in my deal thread for these cards. If you got VRM cooling on these cards then you could pretty easily run whatever the max volts are in MSI AB or until your core temp got much above 85C whichever came first.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So if I just use the stock cooling then try and not bump the volts too much? Makes sense.

One more question. How do I oc the shader clocks and stuff? Do I just increase them after the core stable until it artifacts?

What programs should I have to oc?
Msi afterburner, and what else?

Sent from my brain using my fingers

·
Registered
166 Posts
I like using the program OCCT and running the error check GPU stress test. I would overclock the core first, 20 mhz at a time, until you get errors. Then back off a little, you can run the error check over night to make sure its very stable.

I have always left the shader clock linked to the core clock. The shader is always double the core clock.

Overclock the memory after you do the core. Again run the OCCT error check overnight to make sure there are no errors.

When are you getting these cards? I want to hear how it goes.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
just got them, right now they are SLI'ed but I was concerned because after I installed them and it booted up, I BSOD'd without warning but idk why. should I use msi kombuster to test them at all or just use occt and maybe haven and furmark? not sure which i should use to test what.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts