Overclock.net banner

How much computer does a programmer need?

3060 23
I have become bored and have decided that I want to learn how to code. I have spent a few hundred hours on FCC and am starting to get a knowledge base and have signed up for a CS undergrad that I don't plan on finishing. My income is mostly passive and far more than I need but I spend about 6 to 8 hours in my office Monday through Fridays anyways. I was thinking about making a dedicated computer for learning 3 hours per day during the week and maybe do 6 hours on Saturday to cut out distraction. I was just going to go with an old formula with a 1090t and 8 gb of DDR3 and a cheap SSD with Ubuntu. Is that sufficient for the learning process over the next couple of years? Thoughts on things I might need?
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Registered
188 Posts
You do not need much to "learn". Bare minimum at best. However, that changes entirely when you actually do real world development. At that point, you want high performance in terms of CPU and lots of RAM. When I recommend builds for development, I go for gaming rigs minus the GPU and add more memory.

· Registered
1 Posts
It depends on what you want to do; there is plenty of information out there about this. My 12-years old son said that he wants to work for Bill Gates and went to an it support sydney and asked them what to do in order to work at Microsoft. Coming back to your question, I'd say that you need a MacBook. I am pretty much sure that there is plenty of space and power in that computer that will let you work fast. If you're working as a freelancer, you're good. Unfortunately, not all IT companies are offering apple products to their employees.

· Registered
2 Posts
My former accountant was a programmer and he used his own Macbook for various purposes. So as much as I know you don't need a super-fast computer/laptop. By the way, I fired already my accountant for doing his own job in the office, I mean playing with those programs that have nothing in common with accounting work. Now I got a new one. Read more at GorillaAccounting.com if you need an accountant as well.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.