Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dad just came in room and said dont run the pc overnight, I asked why, he said "It costs a fortune!, i replied does it really?

So heres my question folks, how much does it realistically cost to run a pc 24/7 in say UK if possible, or just a general estimate so that i can pay the extra ££ to my folks in board money

Say in a 24 hour period, i might actually use the pc from 6am-7am and then 5pm-11pm, so a realistic maximum total of 7 hours a day, the rest is just used for folding etc

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
Well it depends on who supplies your electricity. Your PSU will draw about 720w from the wall, that's quite a lot compared to most appliances.

But it has nothing on like a hair drier or my hair straighteners.

·
OG
4,062 Posts
Keeping it on 24/7 will cost alot, it's constantly drawing power, in the high cost and low cost time of day.

I don't know how much it'll cost but when I shut my computer off for about 12 hours a night my power bill dropped from 200 a month to just alittle over 100 a month. (canadian money)

·
Banned
13,823 Posts
if your rig is idle then it will draw little to nothing. your rig probably pulls 100 watts idle from the wall. so tell your dad to stop overreacting lol

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by B4Shock View Post
So my dad just came in room and said dont run the pc overnight, I asked why, he said "It costs a fortune!, i replied does it really?

So heres my question folks, how much does it realistically cost to run a pc 24/7 in say UK if possible, or just a general estimate so that i can pay the extra ££ to my folks in board money

Say in a 24 hour period, i might actually use the pc from 6am-7am and then 5pm-11pm, so a realistic maximum total of 7 hours a day, the rest is just used for folding etc

Well, as a rough guide 1kWh is about 10p, depending on a lot of factors such as your parent's choice in supplier, time of day and metering choice (i.e. Economy 7, single rate, E10, that sort of thing). The other factor is the actual draw of your PSU, which in this case should be about 620W maximum load (forgive my if I'm wrong on this, my knowledge is a bit ropey past the meter proper).

Assuming the proposed cost of 1kWh being 10p, It'd be about 6p per hour.

I'd suggest folding, being quite a CPU and GPU intensive task, would probably get close to max power draw out of the PSU. I'd say about 6p.

PS I work in the energy industry - and run a computer 24/7. It adds up quite quickly.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
To run my rig 24/7 assuming it is using 400W of power ( which it only does under heavy load) costs me about $7.16 a month.

It varies though, different power companies charge different rates per KWh.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronCooper View Post
Electric bills in the UK are cut down during night to about 30% the daytime price, it's called Economy 7..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_7
Only if you have an E7 meter. Single rate meters (which roughly 40% of UK households have) or meters which are multirate but billed as single (about 15% of the same group) do not benefit from cheaper rates at night.

·
Banned
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmm very interesting. In response to supaspankeh's comments, if its about 6p per 1kwh, and my pc is on constantly 24.7 30 days a month, it works out at about £43/month...quite alot ouch!

However, i dont religiously keep it on 24/7, i just tend to leave it on some nights, and my mum tends to turn the pc off during the day for me lol

So id say minus about 30%, and im looking at maybe £25/month...so my £100/month board covers it nicely hehe

·
Banned
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think it might be an idea to contact my particular supplier and have a little chat with them and work it out, as long as its under 20-30£ a month im relatively happy with that to be honest i suppose!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SupahSpankeh
View Post

Only if you have an E7 meter. Single rate meters (which roughly 40% of UK households have) or meters which are multirate but billed as single (about 15% of the same group) do not benefit from cheaper rates at night.

Is there a way to check which meter i have? My mum seems to enjoy doing the laundry at 3am and our tumble dryer is loud..

·
Registered
374 Posts
I used my Kill A Watt on my sig rig, and my desk area (Computer, Speakers, Monitor, printer) draws ~280 watts IDLE. I average about .25 kWh (per hour, is that redundant?). We get charged about $.08 per kWh, which means during a month it costs about $15 for me to leave my PC on. It draws ~550/600 under load, so if I was folding or something, you could double or triple that cost.

·
Banned
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by I_dalder_I
View Post

Dam my house has 3 desk tops and three lap tops running 24/7 plus a few lights and then one desktop that is on most of the day!

damm, i wouldnt like to see your electric bill!

guess its like anything else nowadays, extremely extortionate lol!

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by B4Shock
View Post

If you don't pay the bill you don't have much say. Pay 30% of the bill and I bet he won't mind anymore

·
Banned
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronCooper
View Post

Is there a way to check which meter i have? My mum seems to enjoy doing the laundry at 3am and our tumble dryer is loud..

sounds like an economy 7 to me, or it could be economy 10, both of which operate during off peak hours, up to and past 3am

·
Premium Member
10,980 Posts
Dad pays the bills? Do what he says. Why argue otherwise?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts