Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Percentage is probably the wrong way to look at it, it's more about the size of free space not the percentage.

10-20GB is always a good number.

But i'm one for over kill, i prefer to keep close to 50% for my OS drive.

On my server i've got 50GB for os and keeping 20GB atleast free as a play ground for windows and its super stable,

From experience Atleast 5GB but there's no such thing as too much

Quote:

Originally Posted by WingedCow View Post
I think its 15% at 10% windows doesnt boot or something.
oh and never had this issue, still depends on size not percentage

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Freakn View Post
Percentage is probably the wrong way to look at it, it's more about the size of free space not the percentage.

10-20GB is always a good number.

But i'm one for over kill, i prefer to keep close to 50% for my OS drive.

On my server i've got 50GB for os and keeping 20GB atleast free as a play ground for windows and its super stable,

From experience Atleast 5GB but there's no such thing as too much

oh and never had this issue, still depends on size not percentage
So on a 1tb drive if I kept say, 30-50gigs free I shouldn't have any problems right?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimeracaust View Post
So on a 1tb drive if I kept say, 30-50gigs free I shouldn't have any problems right?
That sounds about right. From what I can take from this, I would believe the reason why performance would drop when not much hard drive space is left would probably be temporary files like the type you get on the internet or when extracting something. Also, Windows writes its log files and such so as time goes on it continues to take more space and if it can't take that space it probably has instability. This is all my own theory that I haven't researched, but it has enlightened me some and I'll be sure to save atleast 20-30GB on my hard drive. Bout to have a SSD (SHOULD BE HERE TOMARROW OMG YAY) I'll be sure to leave 20% of it open, I believe thats how much your suppose to leave free so it doesn't rapidly decay in performance.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimeracaust View Post
Works for me, just reboot every couple of days and temp files will be cleaned and you shoud be sweat.

What are you storing to max out a TB for a daily use comp?

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Freakn View Post
Works for me, just reboot every couple of days and temp files will be cleaned and you shoud be sweat.

What are you storing to max out a TB for a daily use comp?
Pron of course...

Check my steam game list in my sig to get a rough idea. I have a lot of music too. I am not sure I will max a 1tb though.

·
Premium Member
4,496 Posts
5-10GB usually works OK. Depends on what apps you are using.

It isn't percentage (as already shown), but it's also not so much about actual free space as how those remaining free sectors are scattered across the disk. Fragmentation slows down a system, but fragmented writes have even more impact.

So if you are using apps that constantly write to the disk, you would see worse performance than you would with an app that doesn't.
..a

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
best recommendation is actually to have multiple drive setup

1st HDD (ideally SSD Drive) | Operating System (Page File on another partition)
2nd HDD | Applications
3rd HDD | Multimedia files

If you have a single drive setup, put the page file on another partition, keep the drive defragmented

Windows needs a few GB of free space to work properly, amount of space you leave free really depends on how big the drive is, for example 1TB drive you would probably keep about 100GB free, 250GB, 20-30GB, just keep a decent amount free for the OS and other applications

·
Premium Member
4,496 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Willage View Post

2nd HDD | Applications
NO!

Page file on another partition on the primary HD is absolutely the worst thing you can do!

On another *drive*, yes.
..a

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
NO!

Page file on another partition on the primary HD is absolutely the worst thing you can do!

On another *drive*, yes.
..a
actually not true, putting the page file on another partition will prevent the page file from becoming fragmented, it's even better to have a hdd just for the page file (performance reasons)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Willage View Post

2nd HDD | Applications

If you have a single drive setup, put the page file on another partition, keep the drive defragmented

Windows needs a few GB of free space to work properly, amount of space you leave free really depends on how big the drive is, for example 1TB drive you would probably keep about 100GB free, 250GB, 20-30GB, just keep a decent amount free for the OS and other applications
How do I set my W7 pagefile to another drive? I am about to have 3 drives, and obcourse W7 is going on the SSD that shall arrive hurr in 6 hours. So this would be some useful intel for me!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.