Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much is my 4890 being bottlenecked by my CPU? (Sig rig)

And how can I figure this sort of stuff out by myself?

Also it is my 4890 being bottlenecked or is it the CPU? I may have got them the wrong way arround please correct me.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,630 Posts
definitly CPU bottle neck

your using a Athlon 64 X2
i would recommend a AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE or 555BE for an upgrade

+ there is a chance that you can unlock cores to make it a quad
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,463 Posts
You are definitely CPU bottlenecked. Even upgrading to a cheap Phenom II will give you substantial gains, the Phenom II is almost twice as fast clock for clock as your X2.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,630 Posts
XD grab the Phenom II 550 BE~~~One of the fastest and coolest duals and a great OC'er

or the Phenom II 555BE~~~Great dual and can unlock to a quad

actually both of them can have a 50% chance of being unlocked to a quad the OCed!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinking of getting Phenom II 710 or 720

Yeah my CPU is horrible!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,451 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by KillerBunnys122
View Post

I'm thinking of getting Phenom II 710 or 720

Yeah my CPU is horrible!

Triple core Phenom II are not the greatest value, unless if you are trying your hand at unlocking. IF you are going that route, jump for the BE, instead of the multi-locked vanilla version.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whats so bad about the x3 processors?

And I don't want to go Athlon because it doesn't have L3 cache?

ALSO I don't really want to unlock because then I won't know what my temps are and I gotta know what they are!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,635 Posts
I used to have a Phenom II 720 @ 3600MHz with my 4890,

I'd say they both match up very well.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,451 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by KillerBunnys122
View Post

Whats so bad about the x3 processors?

And I don't want to go Athlon because it doesn't have L3 cache?

ALSO I don't really want to unlock because then I won't know what my temps are and I gotta know what they are!

The PII 965BE and the i7 750 (both as complete platforms, i.e, with motherboard, ram, etc) were ranked (bit-tech? I don't remember who) as the top two price/performance systems.

Everything else dropped short, and the i7 were way up high (very pricey for performance).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,635 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ablearcher
View Post

The PII 965BE and the i7 750 (both as complete platforms, i.e, with motherboard, ram, etc) were ranked (bit-tech? I don't remember who) as the top two price/performance systems.

Everything else dropped short, and the i7 were way up high (very pricey for performance).

720 X3 is $105 with free shipping on the egg.

Can't beat that price / performance ratio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm australian so I don't have Newegg and the only place I can find that has a X3 CPU, all it has is the 710 and its $125 AUD
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,451 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by KillerBunnys122
View Post

I'm australian so I don't have Newegg and the only place I can find that has a X3 CPU, all it has is the 710 and its $125 AUD

If it's the best you can get there, than go for it. It WILL improve almost every task your computer has to do. And it's AM3, so you can go future DDR3, if you want to.

Quote:


Originally Posted by KÃœNT PÃœNT
View Post

How about the rig in my sig how do you guys think it should fair, got an 18.5k on 3d mark is that good ?

Not likely, but it is possible. 3D Mark is mostly CPU dependant, especially 06 and Vantage (Physx for Vantage, though).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Quote:


Not likely, but it is possible. 3D Mark is mostly CPU dependant, especially 06 and Vantage (Physx for Vantage, though).

What is not likely ?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,451 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by KÃœNT PÃœNT
View Post

What is not likely ?

breaking 18k.

My i7 with an 8800gts512 g92 got 14k
Same i7 with dual 8800gt got 17k (singe 3dmark has beastly SLI scaling, it is ~ gtx260 level score).

The current ORB "average system" has a GTX295 (dual gtx275, with gtx260 clocks), and an i7. It only scored @ 17k, too.

In 3Dmark Vantage, with Physx enabled, you would easily excede 18k.
In 3Dmark06, it would be a tough fight to get 18k.

The 3dmark test suite is rather dependant on your CPU speed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ablearcher
View Post

breaking 18k.

My i7 with an 8800gts512 g92 got 14k
Same i7 with dual 8800gt got 17k (singe 3dmark has beastly SLI scaling, it is ~ gtx260 level score).

The current ORB "average system" has a GTX295 (dual gtx275, with gtx260 clocks), and an i7. It only scored @ 17k, too.

In 3Dmark Vantage, with Physx enabled, you would easily excede 18k.
In 3Dmark06, it would be a tough fight to get 18k.

The 3dmark test suite is rather dependant on your CPU speed.

 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top