Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
$300-$400 (during the winter)

I don't pay for it though..

As for my rig.. it only uses like 250 watts with my monitor.. I have been turning it off at night, but my dad's and bro's computers are on 24/7 usually.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Mine is on 24/7, i dont use it for anything when im not at it, i just leave it on.

The bill comes every couple of months and its around 70$.

·
Premium Member
5,345 Posts
It's going to vary greatly anyway. I could mention that I got my first bill after folding almost 24/7 last month on my sig rig (at the time on a 750TX) and that my bill went up $10 for a total of about $76.00, but that wouldn't do you any good because energy costs in your area may be wholly different. When I lived a couple of towns over a few years ago with my best friend, our monthly electric bill was upwards of $100/mo, and we didn't have central air like I do at my current place, and I wasn't running a PC like I am now.

·
Registered
612 Posts
military housing = all the electricity i can gobble up (although technically i do get money taken out of my checks for housing)

i probably wouldn't be able to afford playing games all the time if i had to pay for usage.

my sig rig stays on most the day but i turn it off at night, i have a Dell Optiplex 755 that i use for my home server (stays on 24/7), and my Latitude D620 my wife uses pretty much all the time.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
60$/month normally, 120$/month in the winter. Living with 2 roommates in an apartment and my computer is usually on all the time (folding and using 42" TV as monitor). Electricity in Quebec is cheap though, 5 cents per KWh

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by frickfrock99 View Post
How much do you think my rig would add up to?
If I just game and web surf?
You could get this to get the accurate power usage but I'd give a very rough estimate of 200-300W.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Quote:

So my rig uses 300w at full?
How many kilowatts is that?
.3 killowatts (kilowatt = 1000 watt)

I estimate ~350 watts with the CPU and GPU under full load. (.35kw)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Quote:

So over say 16 hours= 4.8 killowatts a day correct? And 144 kilowatts a month?
That's roughly what I would use?
Yeah, very roughly. Your computer is mostly likely running idle 3/4 of the time so it would be much less than that.

If you want to calculate how much your rig costs you can multiply the kilowatts it uses in an hour by the cost per KWh from your power company. You will get how much it costs per hour, from there you can get the cost within any time frame.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts