Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: These are all reference models (except 7990) just to make a clean comparison. There are many OEM variants of different GPUs that have better/worse cooling, but to post them all would be an immense task.

Be sure to set the audio on your speakers to a level where you can hear the sound good enough, but not too high to make it painful to watch. If you are too ADHD to watch the entire videos, the noise hits the max at near the end of the videos.

So which one creates the least noise and which one is the noisiest? Click the videos below to find out.

SOUND TEST

GTX 680:

HD 7970 (Non GHz):

GTX Titan:

HD 7990:

GTX 690:

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Good Comparison.
thumb.gif

A chart would be better.

·
Banned
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianHak View Post

Good Comparison.
thumb.gif

A chart would be better.
I know, but its much easier to relate when you can actually hear the difference instead of seeing some numbers
smile.gif

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thank you for this awesome comparison, it seems like the GTX Titan does a pretty damn good job at staying cool within reasonable levels while not making too much of an annoying sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianHak View Post

Good Comparison.
thumb.gif

A chart would be better.
Why not both? : )

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabrand View Post

Thank you for this awesome comparison, it seems like the GTX Titan does a pretty damn good job at staying cool within reasonable levels while not making too much of an annoying sound.
Why not both? : )
True
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudfire777 View Post

I know, but its much easier to relate when you can actually hear the difference instead of seeing some numbers
smile.gif
Nice job - thanks. I would add that numbers don't tell you whether there's annoying fan "whine." NVIDIA clearly spent some time/money on the Titan's cooling system. I bet it's noticeably quieter than my GTX580 Classified. Above 60% and it gets annoyingly loud.
frown.gif

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
for the price you'll pay for any of these gpus, i think it goes without saying that watercooling is a must. no need for sound test. lol

·
PC Evangelist
47,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

for the price you'll pay for any of these gpus, i think it goes without saying that watercooling is a must. no need for sound test. lol
I bought the HD 7970 with the intention of staying air cooled so i can upgrade GPU much easier that way. 1 week latter water block arrived. I could live with GTX Titan/GTX 690 though.

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

I bought the HD 7970 with the intention of staying air cooled so i can upgrade GPU much easier that way. 1 week latter water block arrived. I could live with GTX Titan/GTX 690 though.
you know what some say here in ocn . . . watercooling is not complete if the gpu(s) is/are not in the loop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsar View Post

How likely is it that the fans spin up this loud during gaming?

I was thinking of getting a 7950 but that sound is really putting me off.
when it had the stock (3 fan) cooler with my gigabyte windforce, i had to check sometimes if the fans were indeed spinning. i game with the gpu at stock and cpu oc'ed. metro and c3 are prolly the only games where oc'ing the 7950 for single 1080 res and even then you can leave the fan in auto. reference is a different story.

·
Premium Member
11,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsar View Post

How likely is it that the fans spin up this loud during gaming?

I was thinking of getting a 7950 but that sound is really putting me off.
HD 7950 cards with custom cooler designs like sapphire dual x , gigabyte windforce3x, his iceq, msi twin frozr maintain low temps and low noise. the reference HD 7950 and XFX DD cooler designs are what you need to stay away from .

·
Registered
890 Posts
What I don't get is why can't AMD just put some effort into picking out a quieter cooling solution. This stuff actually matters to people, and honestly when the cards perform nearly the same, sound is something that I consider when buying. Nvidia wins in this regard every generation, come on now AMD.

·
PC Evangelist
47,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacheezi View Post

What I don't get is why can't AMD just put some effort into picking out a quieter cooling solution. This stuff actually matters to people, and honestly when the cards perform nearly the same, sound is something that I consider when buying. Nvidia wins in this regard every generation, come on now AMD.
GTX680 vs HD 7970 Stock Cooler. One Runs louder and cooler, others runs quieter and hotter. Just because 7970s Cooler is louder @ 100% does not mean much because it does spin much faster. With HD 7970 with Fan @ 100% i was getting almost water cooling like temps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts