Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
phenomenal swag
3,673 Posts
Depends on what you're doing. If you play BF2, Everquest 2, or any other game with humongous maps and a lot of people, then the 2 gigs will really improve the performance of those games. Having two gigs also eliminates the need for a paging file, but unless you play resource-intensive games or do a lot of video editing, you won't need two gigs.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I keep hearing about how having 2 gigs is so great for some of the newer games and all, but most of the benchmarks I've seen indicate only a few frames per second increase. I'd think that if you wanted to turn up the details to high in games like Doom 3, BF2, HL2, Fear, etc. that having 2 gigs would help but I doubt that you'd notice any difference in your day to day tasks. Just my 2 cents worth.

EDIT : BTW love your banner. LOL

·
Premium Member
5,703 Posts
Benchmarks are not very memory intensive at all, why? Well just look at 3D Mark, the "maps" that you see are tiny compared to say a BF2 or CSS map! And that is why real games are very different from synthetic benchmarks such as 3D Marks or Aquamark, although they are handy for comparing scores accross systems. In short, 2GB of ram is a good idea now, as long as you don't have to sacrifice getting a slower CPU or graphics card to afford it, and having 2GB of RAM is quickly becoming the new norm.

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
Because of the 1T vs 2T timings, if you have two 512mb sticks, just stay with that. You will lose more performance going to four 512mb sticks. But if you have a 1GB stick and you want to upgrade, go with the 2GB.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Remonster

Benchmarks are not very memory intensive at all, why? Well just look at 3D Mark, the "maps" that you see are tiny compared to say a BF2 or CSS map! And that is why real games are very different from synthetic benchmarks such as 3D Marks or Aquamark, although they are handy for comparing scores accross systems. In short, 2GB of ram is a good idea now, as long as you don't have to sacrifice getting a slower CPU or graphics card to afford it, and having 2GB of RAM is quickly becoming the new norm.

I agree with you that 2 gigs is becoming the norm nowadays. the benchmarks I was referring too were actual game benchies not AM2 or 3DM. Sorry I should have been more clear about what I was referring too.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
If 2 gigs doesn't give much of a boost now (which I highly doubt with some games), then it certaintly will with new games later on this year perhaps (UT07).

·
Registered
220 Posts
I don't even look at a benchmark score when someone is running 1gig of RAM.

All the new games that have even BEEN coming out need 2gigs to play everything on max with smooth gameplay.

It has nothing to do with FPS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts