Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got my gaming pc which has gtx 750 ti 2gb, intel core i7 4790 (Overclocked to 4GHZ - originally 3.6GHZ) 8GB DDR3 RAM (Overclocked to 1.6ghz - originally 1.33ghz)
So i downloaded msi afterburn and stupidly max the core clock and memory clock which result in games, crashing, so i was just wondering how much shall i boost? I was playing cod aw but some places i get 35 fps so i want to boost the game up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooshna View Post

Hi please fill in your rig so we know what you have and how to help you better.

many things can cause the 35fps dip like playing on ultra at 1440p with the 750 ti is not going to get you 60fps.

we need to know your hardware...
Yeah i just forgot about the specs and btw running all games on 1080p.
Intel I7 4790 4th Gen Quad Core 3.6Ghz (turbo 4.0Ghz)
Power Supply : 500 Watt With Power Cable Supplied
Motherboard : Gigabyte H81M-S2H
Hard Drive : 1tb Sata Hard Drive
Memory : 8gb DDR3 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance Memory
Graphics Card : Geforce GTX 750 TI 2gb (sreen support for DVI / HDMI / VGA connection)
Optical Drive : 24x Dual Layer DVD Writer

·
Registered
393 Posts
Which brand of GTX 750 Ti do you have? If you go to the GTX 750 Ti owners club page, there's a ton of people there who have overclocked their cards from mild to wild, I'm sure they can help you out based on what model you have. Overclocking the 750 Ti is pretty easy as they are cards with some good headroom, however some of the guys who are going after the big OC's bought their cards with a 6-pin connector for added juice from the power supply (only certain cards come like that from the manufacturer), if your 750 Ti only draws from the motherboard PCI-E slot it'll likely not hit as high as others (possible but not likely as the extra 6 pin provides another 75w of power to use). Also if you have the regular i7-4790 and not the 4790k, it'll likely be hard to overclock that much in the future, since with the H81 board not having as high as a quality VRM as the z87/97 boards, it's ok for the pentium G3258 just not for the more powerful cpus. Just one extra, if you haven't actually tried to overclock your pc in the bios, the 4.0 Ghz isn't an overclocked speed, it's simply turbo boosting to intel's specs, as well as the 1600 mhz RAM is likely running at stated speed in the XMP profile, not overclocked either. Don't want to sound rude but it's just products working as they're stated, not overclocking as most would define it. With that said the i7 won't be a bottleneck anytime soon as it provides a ton of power even at stock speeds and the memory won't make a huge difference in any sort of fps situation. While the graphics card is a good card, I wouldn't expect it to hit a standard 60 fps in most newer games with any sort of high/ultra details as that's usually reserved for the GTX 760/770 AMD R9 280X crowd and above. Seems a common oc is 100 mhz or so on clock speed and some are getting 15% extra on memory speed. Good luck with your OC
thumb.gif

·
Registered
259 Posts
It's really luck of the draw when it comes to overclocking your GPU as each card (even of the same model) will tap out at different levels. A good way to overclock is to bump up the overclock by a small amount and test it by running Heaven . If it runs fine without any artifacts, errors or crashing, then bump up the overclock again. Just repeat these steps until you reach the max overclock for your card.

Edit: Personally, I hit about 135 mhz overclock, but your results may vary.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBZZHH View Post

It's really luck of the draw when it comes to overclocking your GPU as each card (even of the same model) will tap out at different levels. A good way to overclock is to bump up the overclock by a small amount and test it by running Heaven . If it runs fine without any artifacts, errors or crashing, then bump up the overclock again. Just repeat these steps until you reach the max overclock for your card.

Edit: Personally, I hit about 135 mhz overclock, but your results may vary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MythTFLfan29 View Post

Which brand of GTX 750 Ti do you have? If you go to the GTX 750 Ti owners club page, there's a ton of people there who have overclocked their cards from mild to wild, I'm sure they can help you out based on what model you have. Overclocking the 750 Ti is pretty easy as they are cards with some good headroom, however some of the guys who are going after the big OC's bought their cards with a 6-pin connector for added juice from the power supply (only certain cards come like that from the manufacturer), if your 750 Ti only draws from the motherboard PCI-E slot it'll likely not hit as high as others (possible but not likely as the extra 6 pin provides another 75w of power to use). Also if you have the regular i7-4790 and not the 4790k, it'll likely be hard to overclock that much in the future, since with the H81 board not having as high as a quality VRM as the z87/97 boards, it's ok for the pentium G3258 just not for the more powerful cpus. Just one extra, if you haven't actually tried to overclock your pc in the bios, the 4.0 Ghz isn't an overclocked speed, it's simply turbo boosting to intel's specs, as well as the 1600 mhz RAM is likely running at stated speed in the XMP profile, not overclocked either. Don't want to sound rude but it's just products working as they're stated, not overclocking as most would define it. With that said the i7 won't be a bottleneck anytime soon as it provides a ton of power even at stock speeds and the memory won't make a huge difference in any sort of fps situation. While the graphics card is a good card, I wouldn't expect it to hit a standard 60 fps in most newer games with any sort of high/ultra details as that's usually reserved for the GTX 760/770 AMD R9 280X crowd and above. Seems a common oc is 100 mhz or so on clock speed and some are getting 15% extra on memory speed. Good luck with your OC
thumb.gif
Thanks, however these are my maxed out OC:
No Crashes but few fps increases
biggrin.gif

Well soon i am building my new pc, when i do which gpu do you think is best for gaming cos i got 1000w power supply and im going to install 2 gpu on my full atx case.
However i will need to get DDR4 RAM because of the unlocked processor im getting.
And do you prefer MSI OR GIGABYTE Motherboards?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Which power supply is it? As long as it is high quality, you can pretty much run any 3x SLI or Crossfire set up. I assume your doing a a Haswell-e x99 build, you can read some motherboard reviews/notes here. If your doing this for fun and have cash to spare, I say go for it. But just know you can get basically the same performance much cheaper if your only playing games.

Edit: Right now the price/performance of two 290 or 290x is pretty hard to beat last I checked. You can also opt SLI 980. You could also play the waiting game and wait for 300 series from AMD or the larger Maxwell chips. It's really about preference, budget, and the date of the actual build.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Which power supply is it? As long as it is high quality, you can pretty much run any 3x SLI or Crossfire set up. I assume your doing a a Haswell-e x99 build, you can read some motherboard reviews/notes here. If your doing this for fun and have cash to spare, I say go for it. But just know you can get basically the same performance much cheaper if your only playing games.

Edit: Right now the price/performance of two 290 or 290x is pretty hard to beat last I checked. You can also opt SLI 980. You could also play the waiting GAME and wait for 300 series from AMD or the larger Maxwell chips. It's really about preference, budget, and the date of the actual build.
Well..... erm.... i'm doing this so the computer last for a long time, with the x99 motherboard i can fit up to 4 gpus? Thats actually amazing!
The PS is: Powercool X-Viper 1000W Silent Modular Gaming PC Power Supply 1000W SLI PSU
I searched gtx titian black and the price is quite mad! It could be used for gaming a lot without any problems....

·
Registered
259 Posts
What is you budget?

Well if you do want to go this route, you should at least get a 1440p monitor. I can find any reviews on that PSU or determine its manufacturer. You may want to check with @shilka who may know more about it. At this point I wouldn't recommend you risk using it especially if you going to be powering expensive hardware.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Quote:

What is you budget?

Well if you do want to go this route, you should at least get a 1440p monitor. I can find any reviews on that PSU or determine its manufacturer. You may want to check with @shilka who may know more about it. At this point I wouldn't recommend you risk using it especially if you going to be powering expensive hardware.
I agree with BBZZHH, shilka and two cables are two guys who know quite a bit about PSU's and you don't want to skimp on a PSU cause of a really good price if it's not a great unit. There are several reputable PSU makers who have 1000w units, i.e. EVGA G2/P2 series, Seasonic, Super Flower, Corsair AX series, etc. If I may make a suggestion, you really should decide what GPU/chipset you want to build around and then get a ball park figure for a PSU. There's no need for a 1000w PSU if a 750/850w unit will power all of it unless you want a ton of headroom. Yet with the way most(but definitely not all) GPU's are focusing on lower power consumption the need for huge PSU's are becoming less and less common. I know, I know this is OC.net what am I saying lol. Just my two cents worth, but check over in the PSU section as the local guru's are always helping others out
smile.gif

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

What is you budget?

Mu budget is about £1500 or £2000. Well yeah itsalways better to check if the power supply is good or not even its 1000w.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MythTFLfan29 View Post

I agree with BBZZHH, shilka and two cables are two guys who know quite a bit about PSU's and you don't want to skimp on a PSU cause of a really good price if it's not a great unit. There are several reputable PSU makers who have 1000w units, i.e. EVGA G2/P2 series, Seasonic, Super Flower, Corsair AX series, etc. If I may make a suggestion, you really should decide what GPU/chipset you want to build around and then get a ball park figure for a PSU. There's no need for a 1000w PSU if a 750/850w unit will power all of it unless you want a ton of headroom. Yet with the way most(but definitely not all) GPU's are focusing on lower power consumption the need for huge PSU's are becoming less and less common. I know, I know this is OC.net what am I saying lol. Just my two cents worth, but check over in the PSU section as the local guru's are always helping others out
smile.gif
Well i was going searching power supply cosair....
I decided the gpu im gonna get is gtx 980 and later on i will try to fit titan black Z.
Chipset is gonna have to be x99 since im getting unlocked i7 processor at the moment i fitted in fan controller

1 - 11 of 11 Posts