Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have become confused.

Here is a part number (for example):
CMY16GX3M2A1866C9R

The Corsair site says:
Package Contents: Two 8GB Memory Modules

Q: Is it the case that the label on each physical piece (with part number) does not represent just that physical piece, but rather the sum total of individual "matched" pieces (pairs, quads)?

The manual to the motherboard (Sabertooth 990FX R2) gives:
G.SKILL F3-17000CL11Q2-64GBZLD (XMP) 64GB (8x8GB) DoubleSided

Am I to believe this suggests that the 64GB comes in a set of eight physical pieces? The motherboard only has four DIMM slots!

·
Random Eventer
2,548 Posts
The corsair set is indeed 16gb, of which is two 8gb sticks.
For the G Skill ram, the motherboard might be stating that the motherboard works with that ram, 4 of the 8 sticks ofc.
These days it seems rather rare for a ram set to not work in a motherboard. Typically just need to look at ram voltage, speeds and if your motherboard supports DDR2, DDR3 or DDR4 (some motherboard support multiple generations of memory I.E. some boards support DDR3 and DDR4, but they have separate slots)

·
New001
2,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye12977 View Post

The corsair set is indeed 16gb, of which is two 8gb sticks.
For the G Skill ram, the motherboard might be stating that the motherboard works with that ram, 4 of the 8 sticks ofc.
These days it seems rather rare for a ram set to not work in a motherboard. Typically just need to look at ram voltage, speeds and if your motherboard supports DDR2, DDR3 or DDR4 (some motherboard support multiple generations of memory I.E. some boards support DDR3 and DDR4, but they have separate slots)
Yeh RAM compatibility seems decent these days. The only troubles i have had has been with laptops, some of them seem to very particular about the RAM you use, especially if you want to keep the existing SODIMM in place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts