Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm currently doing a build with Corsair AX760 and was wondering if I could safely hook up:

a fan controller (Bitfenix Recon) with 2x 120mm fan and 2x 140mm fan and 2x Hard drive all to one of the 8pin to 4x molex extensions?

I might be just being over cautious but I suppose its better to ask . Or I should give the hard drive its own power?

Reason I ask is that I'm trying to save wires and if they can all work safely on one then thats one less extension to worry about.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I thought those cables max at 275w. The reason for using multiple pcie inputs to the gpu. If thats the case your better than ok. Check google but im pretty certain if your meaning pcie. Not sure with molex but they make molex to 6/8 pin pcie adapters it would also carry the same max wattage

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response.

My mistake its a 6pin PCI-E connector that converts into 4 molex connector connected in series that comes with AX760.

HDD will be WD velociraptor 10000rpm and a WD 4TB HDD.

·
Eastern Bloc Electronics
1,696 Posts
Look at my sig rig. Anything wchich is not gpu/mb is powered from a single molex line. So you should be more than fine.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
You'll still be fine. Does the HDDs not have the power ratings on them, telling you how much power they draw? Usually somewhere on the label it'll tell you the +5V and +12V current requirements. Its the same on the fans, they'll usually state how many amps they draw. And the wire is usually a minimum of 18 gauge, usually 16 on better PSU's I think, so it's good for at least 14 Amps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge

So, it'll all run fine on one wire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts