Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the deal im running a counter stirke server... and also have my PVR software running on this PC. Its a 430 PSU that came with my Cheiftec case. Its a Mobile 2400+ xp chip 1gb of memeory.. I do have lets seee... 5 hard drives in there + my PCI tuner card and my AIW 7500 agp card. I dont think the components could make that much of a differance but my father seems to disagree with me.

He doesnt want me to leave it runing 24/7 I want to 1 for the server 2 more importantly for the PVR stuff so i dont miss my favorit shows. But he seems to think that the reason our electric bill is 2x what it was last january is beacuse of my computer running 24/7. How much power does it realy use? I might i thought it was like less than a light bulb. Is he right? or can i find a way to show him thats not the reason.

Would realy apprciate the help on this one im at a dead end.

Thanks

-Snow (aka Devorian)
www.aig-clan.com

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

There are a multitude of wattage calulators on the net, just check them to see what one works best for you (google it or use the one above). but for comparison, your computer may be running like the same as 3 or 4 100W lightbulbs on all the time.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by zokus
http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

There are a multitude of wattage calulators on the net, just check them to see what one works best for you (google it or use the one above). but for comparison, your computer may be running like the same as 4 100W lightbulbs on all the time.
wow.. had no idea.. thanks a lot for the help

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
No problem, it stands to reason that you have a 500W power supply for something.

• Rep+
Reactions: Snowmirage

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowmirage
wow.. had no idea.. thanks a lot for the help

hmm i guess my next ? is would takeing that down to 1 hard drive and less fans or a smaller PSU cut down that much on the power consumption? Or is the main drain the Cpu and such it self?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
No, the CPU is only like 60-100W with OCing included. A smaller may help draw less power, but you prob can't go lower than 400W. Less HDD's will cut down power, if you don't need the space immediately then don't run them. Cutting out mods, lights, watercooling, phasechange, no OCing, stuff like that will help to cut power costs.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by zokus
No, the CPU is only like 60-100W with OCing included. A smaller may help draw less power, but you prob can't go lower than 400W. Less HDD's will cut down power, if you don't need the space immediately then don't run them. Cutting out mods, lights, watercooling, phasechange, no OCing, stuff like that will help to cut power costs.
Great thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts