Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title has my question. They recommend a 750w for the 3080 but wondering what I would need.
I have two mechanical drives and 6 fans too.

·
sudo apt install sl
7,476 Posts
1200w is overkill, my system pulls around ~660w from the wall and it's overclocked. Which CPU do you have?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
1200w is overkill, my system pulls around ~660w from the wall and it's overclocked. Which CPU do you have?
Overkill is the best kill :D

I have 2x1300w HCP on my x299 plattform with 2x 2080ti :p

• Rep+
Reactions: cstkl1

·
Registered
983 Posts
Running anywhere near close to PSU limit is just dumb. If you overclock, you need huge amounts more power just for pushing up a few MHz. OCing a 3080 goes well past the 400w range. Its easier on PSU componets when your using less power than is designed for. The power is also "cleaner", less power fluctuations. Regardless of the 750w recommended PSU. 750 will probably work just fine, but its not a good idea.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a EVGA 850w G3 Gold - was wondering if that was going to be enough.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have a EVGA 850w G3 Gold - was wondering if that was going to be enough.
Just depends on what you do with your PC

If you play games, even with a OC'd 10900k - it's not going to draw that much current.. the GPU will though. Probably be at 600-700w when gaming

That said, if you are maxing out both CPU+GPU under certain workloads or benchmarking, 850w will not be enough here

·
LTSC for life crew
3,083 Posts
The FTW3 pulls a lot of power. Surprised you managed to get a hold of one as the FTW3 is hugely in demand right now.

As far as power supplies go 850W should be fine. 1000W if you want a bit more headroom (Do you plan to run watercooling or a bunch of hard drives too?)

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
If he were to buy a titanium or platinum rated 750 Watt or 850 Watt would that be sufficient because of the greater efficiency?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
If he were to buy a titanium or platinum rated 750 Watt or 850 Watt would that be sufficient because of the greater efficiency?
Probably not because power supplies are most efficient in the middle of their load range. A 1300 gold might be more efficient if you are running at 700w.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,582 Posts
Thats not how efficiency works efficiency is less power draw from the wall not the PC
If your PC uses 200 watt and has a PSU with 90% efficiency it needs to draw 220 watts from the wall but if the efficiency of the PSU is 96% it only needs to draw 208 watts

The amount of power the PC uses wont magically change

• Rep+
Reactions: 8051

·
Mouse lover
2,869 Posts
I can't confirm, but the STRIX page says they recommend 850W for an i9 10900k + RTX 3080

I'm personally using the ASUS TUF OC with an i9 10900k and also use 850W and things have been flawless for me! I'm very happy with the purchase. I'm not sure how much more power the extra pcie would draw or what the benefits would be but the TUF oc is getting the job done for sure. I'm kind of happy I don't have to route another cable in my tiny case lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
FWIW, I'm running an i7-8700k at 5.1ghz (40% OC) custom loop cooling, max tdp on an evga 3080 ftw3 ultra clocked up +95/+200 (not new bios), 3 mechanical drives, 2 nvme drives, and 1 sata ssd. It all runs stable on a 750w G3 psu. don't have the precise power demands for the new intel CPUs handy for comparison, but I think they're pretty similar in power draw.

If I wanted to use the 450w bios for the gpu, I imagine I'll need to upgrade to an 850w psu.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts