Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my sig rig - i7 3820 @ 4.875GHz and a GTX 580.

I am sick of hearing fans as my computer is on nearly 24/7 and I have to sleep with it in my room. So I was wondering how much radiator space I'd need to completely passively cool both of them and maintain decent to good temps?

I was looking at a radiator rack like this one:

http://www.dangerden.com/store/external-3-x-360-radiator-and_pump-case.html

And just throwing 3x 360mm rads in it. Would that be sufficient without any fans? IF so.. What if I added a second GTX 580? Would it be okay if I did that as well?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Passive radiators really aren't worth it. You can get an almost completely silent setup using low speed fans and get MUCH better cooling. One 360 radiator would be plenty for that setup.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
The more you can fit, the better!

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so you guys don't think 3x 360 passive without fans would do a decent job of cooling?

What kind of fans would be dead silent since it seems like the consensus is to use fans? Oh, and the rads I'll be using will most likely be XSPC RX 360's.

·
Premium Member
5,295 Posts
Active radiators are not designed to run passively. Even just a little airflow (eg 600-800 rpm) will make a big difference from being fanless.

If you really want fanless cooling, perhaps consider Alphacool Cape Cora 1042 HF. I would think you need at least two of them for an i7 3820 at 4.8GHz and a GTX580 just to make it work. To have pretty temp, a third one is needed very likely.
There are a few reviews there in the product link (in German).

Product link
http://www.alphacool.com/product_info.php/info/p760_Alphacool-Cape-Cora-HF-1042-silber.html

2 thread of related interest:-
http://www.overclock.net/t/923448/user-review-update-11-10-26-supernova-mora-2-mora-3-phobya-nova-1080
http://www.overclock.net/t/1160351/1080-radiator-and-pump-question

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iinversion View Post

Ok so you guys don't think 3x 360 passive without fans would do a decent job of cooling?
What kind of fans would be dead silent since it seems like the consensus is to use fans? Oh, and the rads I'll be using will most likely be XSPC RX 360's.
You could get any cheap fans and undervolt them using a fan controller to a setting that produces very low noise. Passive radiators really just don't cut it, especially when it comes to overclocked processors and high-end GPUs.

·
Premium Member
3,853 Posts
3x360 rads would be nice but over kill. i wouldn't run passive but with 1200rpm or less fans on ether xspc rx or bi sr1 rads. id go with ether a 480 or a 360 with a 120 or 240. my setup in my sig is all running on a rx360 and i get decent temps.

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so passive isn't the answer.. sigh lol.

I'll probably pick up 2x 360's just to have some extra rad space to add another GTX 580 down the line. What fans should I get? 800rpm or so sounds nice. I'd rather not get cheap fans + fan controller.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I would recommend using Black Ice SR-1 series radiators since they are designed to work with low rpm fans. I would mount 800 rpm fans on them.
Don't know your budget or the type of temps you want to maintain, but I think two 240's would do it with ok temps.

i would try to use Gentle Typhoon fans - lots of different rpm's available and really good. Cooler Master makes 800 rpm fans - they are pretty darn quiet, but not much pressure.

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdeano View Post

and what kinda temps are making you have this kinda noise?
airdeano
My temps are fine, the stock fans for the GTX 580 and my RS240 rad are just loud and I don't want to have to hear it anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan o' water View Post

I would recommend using Black Ice SR-1 series radiators since they are designed to work with low rpm fans. I would mount 800 rpm fans on them.
Don't know your budget or the type of temps you want to maintain, but I think two 240's would do it with ok temps.
i would try to use Gentle Typhoon fans - lots of different rpm's available and really good. Cooler Master makes 800 rpm fans - they are pretty darn quiet, but not much pressure.
Ok I'll a look at those radiators and those fans. I think I'll go with dual 360's though because I will probably add another GTX 580 down the line.

·
Premium Member
3,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iinversion View Post

Ok so passive isn't the answer.. sigh lol.
I'll probably pick up 2x 360's just to have some extra rad space to add another GTX 580 down the line. What fans should I get? 800rpm or so sounds nice. I'd rather not get cheap fans + fan controller.
could always go with the tried and true GT ap-13/14's or the yate loons mediums. i know those are over the 800rpm but with a controller you should be able to lower them down to be quiet or raise them for performance.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I have the GT 1850 rpm fans - not silent, neither are the Yate Loon low speed. Both are excellent at pumping air through rads though.
My guess is the GT 1400 rpm one would not be noticeable though. never seems to be available though.

·
Premium Member
3,853 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,295 Posts
My analysis for using active radiators:-

1) i7 3820 at 4.8GHz under full load consumes ~202W
(http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Intel-Core-i73820-QuadCore-Sandy-BridgeE-CPU-Review/?page=7)

2) EVGA GTX580 SC under full load is estimated to consume 324W
(http://www.geeks3d.com/20101206/tested-and-burned-evga-geforce-gtx-580-sc-review/7/)
For 2 cards, it will be 648W.

3) Total wattage to be dissipated by the radiators = 648 + 202 = 850W
This, of couse, will be an overestimate as I deliberately ignore several factors (eg rarely will both graphics cards and the CPU be fully stressed simultaneously).

But this overestimate will just give you headroom so that you can turn down the speed fan.

4) For silent operation, two main requirements:- radiators with low FPI and fan speed at around 600-800 rpm.

5) From Skinnee's review, XSPC RX360 has a low FPI, at 7-8. Take a look at the performance chart below:-
(source: http://skinneelabs.com/xspc-rx360-v2/2/)

Assuming you want your water cooling system to be of High Performance (5C Delta) to Good Performance (10C), these 2 numbers form the upper bound and lower bound when I use the chart. See the two brown horizontal lines.

Further assuming a fan speed of 800 rpm (ie the yellow line) will be used, one such radiator can dissipate ~300W if you allow 10C Delta (ie the upper bound brown horizontal line). That is, the x-intercept of the intersection of the yellow line and the upper brown line.

This means, for a 850W heat load, you will need three RX360 radiators with fan speed at 800 rpm.

6) As you have only one GTX580 now, I suggest you to get just two RX360s.

Then, after you have actually experienced them in your room, you can decide later whether to add another RX360 or just turn up the fan speed. This is probably the best route/tactics to go with.

7) As far as fan model is concerned, the Scythe Slipstream linked above has 1 'cons' (so to speak) of a max speed of 800rpm. This means, it cannot be run faster. Contrarily, consider a Yate Loon D12SL-12 (the fan used by Skinnee) which has a max speed of 1350rpm. You can, of course, downvolt the fan to run at 800rpm, using a fan controller or something. This gives you the option of upping the fan speed if it turns out that you can accept the noise of a speed of, say, 1000 rpm.

On sale here:
http://jab-tech.com/YATE-LOON-120mm-Case-Fan-D12SL-12-pr-3009.html

1 - 20 of 30 Posts