Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be picking up and SSD, and maybe an other HDD to complete my PC upgrades for a long time. However, I see a lot of people using 64GBs as their boot drive. Is that enough for installing programs/games/OS? I had my eye on this OCZ, but had to ask here first before I drop $180 on what could be useless.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could prolly keep my current 500GB for storage. In the future I may RAID 2 Samsung 500GBs.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What all do you have installed on it, and do your programs go on a separate HDD?

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd probably be installing stuff like FFXIV and SC2 though, so idk if I'd be able to put them on an SSD or if they'd have to go on my 1 TB.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh wow, 80GB may be enough then. Out of curiosity, what games/programs?

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My hope would be I can install stuff like Firefox and Photoshop on my 1TB drive instead of taking up SSD space.

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silvos00
View Post

My hope would be I can install stuff like Firefox and Photoshop on my 1TB drive instead of taking up SSD space.

Well both of those programs are good candidates for being sped up by installing them on an SSD.

·
Registered
889 Posts
i have the f60 for windows and apps drive i put games on my terabyte black and I have 25 gigs left so 60 is plenty in my opinion. look for the ssd tweak guide in this forum that helped me alot in conserving space

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Keep Firefox on the SSD... it's not big at all.

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silvos00 View Post
Photoshop is about 12 GB though...as are most games.
jebus

12 GB!?

of what?

bloody bloated program!?

v7 is around 161MiB of installer files
CS3 is around 165 MiB of installer files
CS4 x64 is around 225 MiB of installer files

not sure how big CS5 is but what a monster jump?!

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silvos00 View Post
Photoshop is about 12 GB though...as are most games.
Photoshop is NOT 12GB...in fact, it's NOWHERE near it. It's no more than 3GB. Plus I would not recommend installing games on the SSD unless you can really afford the extra storage for games. Just RAID0 two drives (WD Black, Seagate 7200.12, or Samsung Spinpoint F2/3). That's what I do. I have all of my programs and os on my ocz vertex 2e 120gb ssd (only takes 36GB and this is after 3 months of no reimaging). my games and storage is on the raid0 wd black 640gb and my backup is my samsung spinpoint f3 1tb.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
im using a 40gb intel and it works great for my os and programs. i put my games on a diff 500 gb drive. the ssd was the best purchase ive made in quite a while.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts