Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI everyone, I am doing my monthly cleaning and I thought about taking the crappy thermal paste off my NB heatsink. I did take the old paste off and now I need to know how much to put back on it. Also, how hot should it be getting? thanks

Jacob

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Just less than what you would put on the ihs, so about a 1/4 of an uncooked grain of rice

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Half of a BB sized ball.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakg
View Post

sorry to sound like a noob, but why? does the NB get that hot?

It can if you up the chipset voltage and start overclocking alot.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
The NB controls everything on the board, so I would expect it to get as hot as it does

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, sounds like about how much I would have put on. How do adjust the voltage, I looked in the BIOS, but no luck, I'll look harder though. Does anyone know if I can find a BIOS that lets me adjust this kinda stuff.

Jacob

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rcdriver0604 View Post
Alright, sounds like about how much I would have put on. How do adjust the voltage, I looked in the BIOS, but no luck, I'll look harder though. Does anyone know if I can find a BIOS that lets me adjust this kinda stuff.

Jacob
No mention of Chipset Voltage in the BIOS?

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ahh, more bad news about my crappy rig, i'm used to it now
. Anywho it is about time for a mobo with some pci e slots on it with ddr2 support. But yeah back to my question, is there any modded BIOS's that will work for my mobo, any sites I should check out?

Jacob

·

29,532 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rcdriver0604 View Post
darn, ohh well you can't blame me for trying
. I'll deff stay away from VIA chipsets, thanks for the warning.
nVidia and ATi are really the only ones to trust... And yes, that is in Northbridges.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ahh, I just looked at one of my old mobo's and it has nvidia chipsets! I just wish I had a good socket A proc and 2 good sticks of good RAM. Ohh well, I guess I will make due with what I have
. i don't even know if the idea is worth throwing around, but is there anyway I could use the nvidia chipset on my A8v?

Jacob

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I didn't think so
. Well new board is coming later, as soon as I can find enough money for a board, 2 gig's of good quality RAM, and 2 GPU's. I'm not worried about power, I have me an OCZ 700 watt under the tree right now
can't whait to open it up!

Jacob

1 - 18 of 18 Posts