Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in a pinch last week and needed a new 600w+ PSU fast. The only store I could go to had a $80 option, or a $170 option. Guess which I chose.... It's an OCZ "StealthXStream2" 700w "80plus" rated (#OCZ700SXS2). Since installing it my system has been freezing once every 24hours or so.

Suspecting the new PSU I installed Asus Probe (my mobo is an Asus M4A87TD EVO, the CPU is an AMD X4 630). I notice the vcore readings for the 1.3V are jumping all over the place, from 1.06v to 1.36v - it is changing every second. A second program, CPU-Z, confirms this.

I've read that 5% or 10% is the maximum variance you should see with a good PSU but would like to confirm that. Any thoughts guys? Are these readings proof my new PSU is a piece of junk and the cause of my freezes?

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
This is a motherboard thing, not a power supply thing.

I mean, it could be the power supply, but Vcore is developed by your motherboard's VRMs, and it would take some pretty massive ripple from the PSU to make the VRMs screw up that badly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Phaedrus I didn't know that. I've never really watched these voltages before. So are these readings an indication of a mobo problem, or is this normal and just caused by the quad core requiring different amounts?

(ps - this system is not overclocked)

·
Premium Member
14,051 Posts
If Cool N' Quiet is enabled, your CPU will downclock and voltage will notch down as well to conserve power in an idle state.

Turbo core also does this (mine kicks V's from 1.3 to like 1.475 or something).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by beers View Post
If Cool N' Quiet is enabled, your CPU will downclock and voltage will notch down as well to conserve power in an idle state.

Turbo core also does this (mine kicks V's from 1.3 to like 1.475 or something).
Beers... nice save... I disabled Cool N' Quiet and the voltages are hovering from 1.34 to 1.36... for now I have restrained my wraith for OCZ's psu's

So... I'm back at square-one... but I still *strongly* suspect this PSU (this system was stable before the change).. any suggestions on how I can prove it is the PSU - with software only? I don't have a voltage meter or another mobo to test this in.

Back in the day I used to use motherboard monitor 5, it could log vcore changes every second. That would be very handy for me right now, I'd love to let it run for 24 hours and capture info 1 sec before the freeze - but apparently mbm5 doesn't work on Win7 and/or with this mobo.... I'm looking for something similar

Any suggestions for proving it is the psu - with software only?

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Buy a $10 multimeter from Walmart, software can't tell you anything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm I didn't realize they were that cheap.. I might do that.. but this problem is transient and happens once every ~24 hours, do I sit there staring at the thing waiting for a freeze? Are there no options for logging a psu's output to check that it's stable over a few days?

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Not for cheap, for something like that you'd have to spend a hundred or so, say for a logging USB oscilloscope.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts