Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what I was thinking. Considering my PSU was finally what undid my VAIO after 8 years, I don't know why it didn't concern me that the 600w unit I bought was only like 35 bucks. Now after reading up on it, I find mixed reviews - not a good sign already - and likely that it will quit within a year anyway from what I gather.

I would like to be fairly confident that my psu will not be the demise of any other bits (last one killed 3 vc's before I figured out the problem) and that it will be reliable to do its proper job for a minimum of three years of daily use without fizzing out. It's job will be running a lot of (5) case fans and everything in the sig rig and a pair of 12" uv cc's to boot, so I figure it will need at least 600w but a little wiggle room wouldn't hurt. Is there any reason to look at higher than 750w? Modular is a plus but not necessary if it kills the budget, and I would prefer something that I don't have to shout over, so what kind of price range will I be looking at to get:

1 - a good long lifespan? and how long is long nowdays?

2- enough bang in the box? what wattage should I concentrate on?

3- convenience and comfortable noise levels?

Lastly - the HD 3850 apparently thinks it has a say in my PSU choice - should I pick only from the rather minimal "certified" PSU list? Or should I consider this like the ASUS "qualified vendor" memory list and go with something that isn't listed but is generally regarded as a solid choice?

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
GO CORSAIR. Go with a corsair psu and you will not be disappointed man. I have one and love it and it will not kill your mobo or send random rails through your computer. They are in the top two of psu's so why not get it and they are a good price. You can even pick one up off here pretty cheap. I seen a 750x for 85$ shipped the other day. But DO NOT GO CHEAP ON YOUR PSU. Get a corsair man!!

FYI- corsair under rates there psu's so a 750 can run 800-825 easily

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,936 Posts
For the rig with the way it is right now, you could get a quality 350 to 400W power supply and have more than enough for the rig (probably much more, actually). That should cost anywhere from $50 to $70.

Here are some examples from Newegg:
  1. 380W SeaSonic S12II for $55.99 before shipping
  2. 400W Corsair CX400W for $49.99 shipped (there is a $10 MIR).
I was going to post a couple of more, but I don't know about the others.

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
With his current system there is absolutely no way he will need anything over 400 watts.

Even with future upgrades a nice 400 watt PSU will power plenty as it is.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,936 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rpm666
View Post

With his current system there is absolutely no way he will need anything over 400 watts.

This.

Even the Corsair CX400W is far more than capable to power this rig. But Corsair is not the best PSU manufacturer. They're just the most well-known high-quality PSU manufacturer. You don't have to go with a Corsair.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I would agree with the 450 Range but personally I like to leave a little head room. Once you buy a good PSU you might never have to get another one. Unless there are new plugs on mobo's or a new standard. I might go corsair and just step up to the 500w range. Thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by chef098
View Post

I would agree with the 450 Range but personally I like to leave a little head room..

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

For the rig with the way it is right now, you could get a quality 350 to 400W power supply and have more than enough for the rig...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpm666
View Post

Future upgrades? To what? Is there somewhere else to go with this? Its a 478 socket board - I don't think there is a whole lot of room for improvement; in fact I have been trying to find parts to max it out as it is. (Although if anything, I might consider buying higher than required on the PSU in case of the next build as suggested also.)

But interesting consensus on assessments of wattage reqs, given that wattage calculators at ASUS (mobo) and Newegg have both offered up 500 watts minimum when I enter conservative data (and no usb items) and up to 630 entering worst case scenario info on another calculator somewhere I can' remember. Basically we're looking at 3 hdd's, 4 1gb sticks ddr, and 2 DVD-RW's, a floppy and a sata/ide converter dongle, plus the fact that the hd 3850 has a minimum of something like 400 or 450 recommended also (not to mention pretty lights and 5 fans a-blowin). Really you all think 350 to 450 would do it? I am looking for something with a pci-e 6pin though - if it means I don't have to cough up another molex or two for the GPU adapter. I've only got 1 sata drive atm, and I'm gonna need 4 molies min to power the other drives and such.

And basically I was looking for a price range to prepare for. I was afraid it might cost 150 or more for something really solid, but I'm comfortable spending 80 on a good psu no problem, even 100 considering its the PSU (as has been said, NOT the part to skimp on) Is there good quality to be found in the 600-650 watt range at this price? What kind of longevity to expect from PSU's nowdays?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,936 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by voixdelion View Post
Future upgrades? To what? Is there somewhere else to go with this? Its a 478 socket board - I don't think there is a whole lot of room for improvement; in fact I have been trying to find parts to max it out as it is. (Although if anything, I might consider buying higher than required on the PSU in case of the next build as suggested also.)

But interesting consensus on assessments of wattage reqs, given that wattage calculators at ASUS (mobo) and Newegg have both offered up 500 watts minimum when I enter conservative data (and no usb items) and up to 630 entering worst case scenario info on another calculator somewhere I can' remember. Basically we're looking at 3 hdd's, 4 1gb sticks ddr, and 2 DVD-RW's, a floppy and a sata/ide converter dongle, plus the fact that the hd 3850 has a minimum of something like 400 or 450 recommended also (not to mention pretty lights and 5 fans a-blowin). Really you all think 350 to 450 would do it? I am looking for something with a pci-e 6pin though - if it means I don't have to cough up another molex or two for the GPU adapter. I've only got 1 sata drive atm, and I'm gonna need 4 molies min to power the other drives and such.

And basically I was looking for a price range to prepare for. I was afraid it might cost 150 or more for something really solid, but I'm comfortable spending 80 on a good psu no problem, even 100 considering its the PSU (as has been said, NOT the part to skimp on) Is there good quality to be found in the 600-650 watt range at this price? What kind of longevity to expect from PSU's nowdays?
None of us would have recommended the PSUs below 400W if we were unsure about it.

Those PSU calculators are usually pretty inaccurate, and those PSU requirements are usually always very bloated. Any of the 350-400W PSUs that were recommended will be excellent for the rig the way it is right now until everything is replaced one day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts