Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My cousins 7900GTX fried! Would love to RMA but unfortunately his idiot brother lost the only thing I told him not to lose, the mobo box filled with accessories (i.e. the heatsink, extra cables, etc.).

So how bad will a X2 4000 bottleneck a game like Crysis or any modern game with a 8800GT/9800GT? He is currently still playing WOW/WC3 and CSS. He needs to step it up lol.

·
Intel/Nvidia
3,445 Posts
I played my 8800GT with that exact same CPU before. It was the first CPU I got for my build. But I didn't noticed any lag or slow down from it especially when I over-clocked the chip to 2.8Ghz. I honestly can't remember what it was like playing at stock 2.1Ghz speed. Its so long ago.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can overclock that thing?! Crap, well he's on stock cooling, don't think thats going to happen.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeaceMaker View Post
You can overclock that thing?! Crap, well he's on stock cooling, don't think thats going to happen.
Don't knock stock cooling so fast! You can probably get a few Mhz out of it with stock. Nothing crazy but it helps. My pops' rig is running an athlon x2 regor stock 2.8 ghz oced to 3.6 on stock cooling. Idles at 25c loads at 32c. I know this chip is more efficient than the x2 4000 but it goes to show that stock cooling can still get a decent OC.

·
Intel/Nvidia
3,445 Posts
Just to let you know, its capable. I overclocked my CPU on STOCK cooling. My temps were surprisingly good as well. 31-33 idle and 47-50 load. It was in my old case which only had 1 intake (on the bottom) and 1 exhaust. Maybe I just got a good chip?

Quote:

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smykster View Post
Don't knock stock cooling so fast! You can probably get a few Mhz out of it with stock. Nothing crazy but it helps. My pops' rig is running an athlon x2 regor stock 2.8 ghz oced to 3.6 on stock cooling. Idles at 25c loads at 32c. I know this chip is more efficient than the x2 4000 but it goes to show that stock cooling can still get a decent OC.
Regor is a whole other ball game. Smaller nm and newer CPU. What is a realistic OC on stock and aftermarket cooling?

·
Intel/Nvidia
3,445 Posts
I agree with this. It really depends on how hard and how far you want to push it. If you only want minimal speed increase, then it shouldn't be a problem. But if you're going to make a huge leap aka 1ghz jump, then its a lot wiser to invest a 3rd party cooler.

Quote:

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well going back to my original post... I need to know if my cousin will have an issue trying to play newer games. COD4 MW1, Crysis, uhm.. I'm drawing blanks on new games but I guess I would like to know its limitations (if any).

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I found crysis to play better with a quad. I'm playing with a 9800gtx+ which isint too far removed from what you'd like to get him. I didn't notice much of a difference from overclocked to stock cpu on crysis but I did from dual to quad. That GPU should be able to pull out medium settings at 1920x1080 definitely on 1680x1050. As far as COD and source games, it should definitely be able to handle them, without noticing a cpu bottleneck.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

I found crysis to play better with a quad. I'm playing with a 9800gtx+ which isint too far removed from what you'd like to get him. I didn't notice much of a difference from overclocked to stock cpu on crysis but I did from dual to quad. That GPU should be able to pull out medium settings at 1920x1080 definitely on 1680x1050. As far as COD and source games, it should definitely be able to handle them, without noticing a cpu bottleneck.
that's really good to hear. he doesn't have a widescreen so 1680x1050 is out of the question.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

My cousins 7900GTX fried! Would love to RMA but unfortunately his idiot brother lost the only thing I told him not to lose, the mobo box filled with accessories (i.e. the heatsink, extra cables, etc.).
For most RMAs, you don't need the accessories.... just a proof of purchase.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
For most RMAs, you don't need the accessories.... just a proof of purchase.
I dont have original heatsink.... I'm pretty sure I read in the fine print it required original heatsink and anything received without a stock heatsink will be shipped back.

EDIT:
as for the res, I'm not sure tbh, he has a 19" Acer monitor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts